Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 367 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    A
    OP Offline
    A
    Hi, new to the forum, not sure if this is the right place to post this. We're looking for an educational consultant in the metro Detroit area (North Oakland County) that has experience with the school districts in the area. We have a referral for one person, but want to make sure we're covering our bases and wanted to talk with at least another.
    I've looked at the MAGC (Michigan G&T) resource page and there really aren't any listed in the Detroit area, even the one we have spoken with isn't listed so I know that there are more out there.
    Specifically we're looking for someone who can help to interpret our son's test results from an academic standpoint, provide counsel on school and education options within our district as well as outside (i.e. should we move).
    Thanks!

S
    S
    I think Roeper has a list of consultants who are authorized to perform testing for admissions. I think many of them also provide general educational consulting services for gifted kids. The list used to be on their website. It may even be on the application for admissions if you download the pdf.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

D
    D
    I would try Roeper or Steppingstone in Farmington Hills.

A
    OP Offline
    A
    Thanks, I was concerned that the Roeper people would be more apt to be Roeper focused and not as knowledgeable about how to navigate the public school system and the like, but it is worth a shot to talk to them and see what they can say.

K
    K
    Hi,

We have not consulted anyone yet, so I have no direct experience. It is just recently that we are thinking of leaving the district and are exploring our options- which includes potentially moving (I believe we are in the same district).

Info I found was:

ISD contacts- you may get an idea of what school districts offer by talking to the ISD coordinators.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/GTCONSLS_86912_7.pdf?20140512143647

Advocates listed (not very updated, but may provide some additional contacts):

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/AFLTCL_FOR_2_PAGE_AFFILIATE_PRINTOUT_01_82894_7.pdf?20140512143647

The Gifted in Michigan facebook page also has a large Oakland County area population. They may have some good references and/or personal suggestions of educational consultatnts. A lot of information on Roeper, Steppingstone, Cranbrook, etc have been posted.

A friend suggested the West Bloomfield's Roosevelt Elem. Magnet G/T school. I have not explored admission, enrollment, etc yet since it was a recent conversation- but just to share that information.

http://www.westbloomfield.k12.mi.us/roosevelt/

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM