Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 97 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    N
    N.. Offline OP
    OP Offline
    N
    Xxx

Thank you for responses.

Last edited by N..; 05/12/14 04:49 PM.
    M
    M
    That's great that the district person is onboard to help.

I would email that person (since it was he/she would said there would need to bea meeting) and cc the principal.

Good luck and keep us posted!

I can see why you went ahead and called the district and, obviously, it was a good thing that you did. You tried to work with both the teacher and the school and your questions were not being answered and your child's needs weren't being met. You asked the school to find the information and they simply didn't do it, so you had to. You should feel no guilt there.

From this point on - unless the school takes the reigns with the district's approval - I think you need to continue to communicate with the district's head of the gifted program with any concerns or questions you have. You now have a relationship with her and she is now on the case, so you do not need to revert back to the school unless she says so. I think that since it has been a week and since the gifted head herself says that time is of the essence you should contact the gifted head to see what progress she has made with the school. I am assuming that the school is the one to have to do the out-of-level testing rather than the district? Or is it possible to have the district (maybe even the gifted head) do this testing?

In the meantime, make sure you let your child's gifted teacher know how much you adore her and even let the school admin and his teacher know that you think their programs are great and that you know the issue is your child and his/her needs rather than the quality of the program and teaching. And empathize with them about how hard it is to meet the needs of so many diverse children.

She thought she could, so she did.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM