Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 115 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    C
    Chana Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Since I am trying to have my DD10 take HS courses as a 7th Grade Homeschooler and not have to retake them again when she enters Public High School, I've been told the best way is to take the courses from an accredited place, then the credit is just transferred. Does anyone know an accredited online high school that will allow an 11yr old to take only a couple of classes?

K
    Kai Offline
    K
    Just a caution, even if the school is accredited, it may not matter. Our local high school will not accept any online credits for high school courses taken prior to 9th grade and will only accept credits for high school courses taken through a university (BYU, Mizzou, etc) in grades 9-12. I would be sure to get the policy from your district in writing before investing any time and money.

That said, I'm pretty sure that Oak Meadow, Keystone, Laurel Springs, and K12 will accept underage kids into their high school courses (though they may require proof that the student is working at a 9th grade level). I'm sure there are others as well.

Q
    Q
    There is also FLVS Global. However, regardless of accreditation, your school district has to agree to accept the course for credit and they may have additional hoops (i.e., testing, etc.) for the students to jump through.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by Kai
    Just a caution, even if the school is accredited, it may not matter. Our local high school will not accept any online credits for high school courses taken prior to 9th grade and will only accept credits for high school courses taken through a university (BYU, Mizzou, etc) in grades 9-12. I would be sure to get the policy from your district in writing before investing any time and money.
    This is true in my district as well. The only courses accepted for credit before the student if officially enrolled fall of their 9th grade year are the districts own summer school classes. Although an online class might be used for placement in math or a foreign language. Can you talk with the school you hope your daughter will be enrolled in?

P
    P
    Chana, there are quite a few different organizations that offer online accredited high school courses - the first thing I'd do is to check your school district's policy for accepting courses for credit and placement (this should be in writing in your district's policy handbook), and the second thing I'd do is check with your local homeschoolers to see which organizations other families have used and which they have had good success with in getting credit (if it's allowed). Then I'd post here again with the specific organizations and see what feedback you get.

Best wishes,

polarbear

You could also try making phone calls at the state level-- I sometimes find that they are able to give more solid answers than the locals.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    C
    Chana Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Thanks everyone, I had talked to a "county" level school board person who told me that they have to take the test while in 9th grade unless the credit came from an accredited high school. I plan on sending her an email during the week to make sure that the transfer policy remains the same if the student is not high school age. The individual that I spoken with recently at that level has been very responsive and helpful. I wanted to see if I had some good options before contacting her again.

When I talk to local homeschoolers, they usually focus more time on trying to convince me to just continue homeschooling, which is still on the table but that decision will be my daughters. I want to make sure that she has options and does not have to repeat work already done, if she chooses the Public High School route.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent