Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 133 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    OP Offline
    Hi! Life has been insane, but summer is coming, and I have a feeling I'm going to need you guys wink

I figured I'd post an update just in case someone... uh... cares?

DS1 is finishing up JK, it's been a ride, but he is going 5 half days a week at this point. He was assessed, and came up autistic and gifted. What little intervention he's had for the ASD has lead to some serious problems because of systemic homophobia, polyphobia, and cis-sexism (all of which have major impact within our immediate circle.) He seems to have settled on the "Inventor" path, designing a lot of interesting vehicles, in particular. These seem like nothing but flights of fancy, until you take him to a group setting where he is handed a robot kit and told to draw what he wants it to look like... and he draws circuit diagrams instead of pictures. Or belatedly clue in that he's trying to explain how to modify a refrigerator to heat a zoo exhibit using the surplus heat from the penguin enclosure.

DS2 is 2.5, and turning into, you know, like a big kid. He is much more interested in social stuff and traditionally academic stuff, and is also much more consistent in his abilities (if he can read his name one day, he can still read it the next, etc.) He will probably go to pre-school next year, because he *gasp* likes socializing with other kids. He seems to feel that I am a superfluous but amusing part of his life.

-Mic

DS1: Hon, you already finished your homework
    DS2: Quit it with the protesting already!
    P
    P
    Hi. I love updates. He had homophobic preschool teachers?

Welcome back - it is good to hear how things have been.

Have you checked out pbskids design squad? They have episodes where teams are given challenges and they design some really cool stuff, but they also have invention challenges that kids can do and submit their ideas to. We've used it a lot and my kids love it.

OP Offline
    He wasn't able to manage preschool, no, this was the ASD people. I had a similar problem, when I was a teenager, and being encouraged to learn 'social skills' aka 'present as a girl, and don't go lookin' queer now, eh?'

Not sure they're really homophobic, just trying to explain to him what "marriage" means... and being wrong, at least in the context of his home life. Also, our area has a lot of very conservative Muslims, who may be re-enforcing some of what we're trying to undo.

DS1: Hon, you already finished your homework
    DS2: Quit it with the protesting already!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent