Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 342 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    N
    N
    Due to my disability that profoundly affected my language acquisition and went undetected until pre-K, I had the WISC-R done at least three times that I found buried in the school papers my mother sent me last year - at ages 8, 11, 15. My performance IQ did not not change much over that period (from 127 to 136 - consistently slow increase) but my verbal swung from 94 to 127 over that period (I tanked in vocabulary on earlier ones and the sole focus it felt like when I was a kid was to catch up for those years that I basically had very little lanuage exposure). I recall the last test giver - when I was in high school - because he told me that my vocabulary really reflected that gap - and the attempts to make up via books, since I knew lots of words the average teenager did not know but missed on words that the average teenager would know. High school was the last one I ever took since there was no need for any more (mandated) testing... in college, it was determined that I did not need any special services and at work, it does not appear to affect my job performance.

We had DS tested due to my history and DH's family history of LDs and HG/PG kids and DS's very high emotional sensitivity to understand what may be best school environments since we started realizing that his current single age classroom appears to be leaving him bored and out of sync with his classmates. His verbal shows as HG/PG but his performance was not as high but still noticably above average.

Woodcock johnson- My second grader is 130, my kindergartner is 138.

Both were tested the same week they had 104 fever so I can't help but wonder what results were affected.

P
    P
    I hope they didn't have that kind of fever during the tests? Illness can be unpredictable - I found it effects study for exams rather than the actual exam where i just got caught up in what i was doing. But i wasn't 6!

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    I and all of my siblings were tested on the LM, back in the day, but none of our children have been, other than incidental OLSATs at school, mainly because the numbers matter very little. If we spend enough time with them, children will tell us by their presentation what they need, and meeting their needs is what matters.

Of course, as a side note, I've administered enough tests to have a reasonable idea of where the kids fall on the curve. Not that I could name a number by eyeball. There is a famous anecdote (well, famous in assessment circles!) about David Wechsler being able to pin the FSIQ of pretty much any kid in less than ten minutes, with a couple of choice questions and his clinical observation. It appears to be legit, as it concerns Alan Kaufman's (KBIT, KTEA, WISC-IV guy) young daughter.

They have had some achievement testing, but that was mostly because I was trying out my new test kit!

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    N
    N
    I don't know either one. DS has had the WISC-IV twice and got vastly different (20+ points between) scores, even the second of which is not within 20 points of where everyone who knows him knows that he ought to be. He simply doesn't think the way the test does, so I don't think he will ever get an accurate score. He's 99.9th percentile on nearly every other test (WJ-III, NWEA, MAP, etc.), and definitely "scary smart", but the IQ test boggles him.

I have the same problem with that sort of test -- I've taken online ones (because I get a kick out of tests, ha), and the three-dimensional thinking questions fry my brain. I can ace tests with the pattern questions, number games and such, but I just don't think in 3D.

B
    B
    According to my Mother, mine tested 160+ around the first grade, but she's unsure of what test was used. That would have been in the late 80's. When it comes to myself, I don't care either way. It doesn't make a difference in my current life. I have no idea if my husband has ever been tested, but I'm positive he falls somewhere in the gifted area, HG at a minimum but probably considerably higher. As far as testing my children (at least my daughter, who I am sure is somewhere out there as well) - my feeling is we'll do it if we need to. She's not even 3.5 yet, so no rush for me.

I will say - My mother said her father had tested "off the charts". He suffered from mental illness (which, was probably just the difficultly of someone being PG trying to fit in before it was understood at all) and had some pretty ghastly procedures done in the sake of 'repairing' him back in the 60s. I honestly did not know him well.

Last edited by BrandiT; 05/09/14 12:24 AM.

Z - 01/23/11 and O - 05/12/13
    A
    A
    Me, DH and DS, I don't know, but I do know DD's and my sister's and they are within 4 points of each other.
    DS I'm guessing is similar to DD as they are such similar kids and based on some of his achievement scores - and I've also taken all that to mean mine is probably the same as theirs too.
    And just to keep the assumptions going, I reckon that DH is around the same too smile
    OP, you should just test if you're curious!

L
    L
    Don't know anyone's iq. However, I know that when my mom went for her kindergarten screening at age 4, she was reading, writing and doing 2nd grade math with ease, so they enrolled her in 2nd grade ( those were the days). I also know that dad was dirt poor, came from a village, used to walk miles to get to his school, had no support but managed to go to top college with full scholarship. So I believe I come from good stock smile. Dd is only 4.5 and there is no need to test her now. I will be shocked if she does not test at least hg.

M
    M
    I had some unofficial testing done when I was in elementary school and would be HG/HG+ these days. We haven't had the kids tested, yet, they are both 2E and since we're going the homeschooling route for now, there's really no need to test. But my best guess would be DS5.8 HG/GH+ and DS4.1 HG+, possibly even PG. Problem with DS4.1 is that he is so very 2E that to a stranger he would look seriously cognitively delayed. It might just be in my mind, but sometimes I have that feeling that he's one of those kids who are so gifted, it becomes a disability for them. If I said that out loud to any of our friends, they'd probably think I am crazy but I know all of you here on this board understand what I mean.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM