Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 272 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    G
    GHS Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G
    My DD turned 4 in December. The private Montessori school she attends had mentioned to me she could go to K if I wanted next year. But then a few weeks ago they told my DD she would be in K next year (I was thinking they would discuss with me first).

Anyway, the mornings in this school in her "primary class" are mixed age ("primary" kids range from about 3-6 at start of year and 4-7 at the end). But in the afternoons they divide up into their classes. The first year together, second year together, and third year (kindergarden) together. In the afternoon for K it is very academic. Writing short stories, math, ect. By the end of the year the Kindergarden class will have several 7 year olds (usually boys who were held back is my guess). DD will be 4 and turning 5 late December of next year so essentially 2 years younger than some, one year younger than most. Most of her friends are girls that will be in the Kindergarden class next year, though she has some in the upcoming pre-k class as well.

ETA: She has been doing the afternoons with the Pre-k class (the class that will be K next year) rather than the younger class.

Anyone have experience in a similar situation? How did it play out?

Last edited by GHS; 05/07/14 08:05 AM.
    P
    P
    GHS,

Your DD is doing K in the same montessori and the school initiate the plan instead of you pushing it which means that your DD is ready.

My DD was in the same boat. My DD was 4 when she was in K and they did 1st grade the next year for her. She was the only 1st grader in her class with the rest are pre K and a few K. We had doubt about how it could work. The teacher was very good at differentiation and my DD was happy at school. She even acted as teacher assistant (she likes being in charge) and read some stories, taught them puzzle, etc...and it was a good experience for her.

M
    M
    Not exactly that similar but DD3.10 has been going to a nature-based program for a few months and she'd been spending at least half of her time with 6/7 year olds although her BFF is her age-mate. One thing I notice is that socially, she's been learning awfully a lot from the older kids and that can come with its own challenges. I don't know if this is related but she's been expressing lately that she doesn't want to grow up and wants to stay 3 forever.

If I could make it happen, I would prefer to see DD with children closer to her own age who share her (intense) love of learning but right now, that doesn't seem to be an option.

J
    J
    My DD started kindergarten this fall at 3.8 years. Like you, it wasn't something we considered until her preschool teacher recommended it.

It has been a somewhat bumpy road, though not for the reasons we expected. She has been happy throughout, and thrived socially and academically. The obstacles were other parents and at times, her k teachers. But those were obstacles for us, and not anything that she was aware of or impacted by. The only things that she has really struggled with is being frustrated on occasion because she doesn't like being "the littlest" (youngest). And sometimes P.E. is frustrating because she can't run as fast as the other kids, etc.

If your DD is already doing afternoons with the class she'd be with for K next year, it sounds like she is a good fit both socially and academically as well. Also, you know her better than anyone. Do you think she'll enjoy the more academic afternoon of K, or will she not be comfortable with the structure of it despite her capability? Is there anything specific you're concerned about in connection with this placement?

Finally, do you think your daughter is able to observe to some extent the different afternoon groupings? Could you talk to her about the options and ask which she would prefer?

G
    GHS Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G
    Thanks for the info!!

We received the K enrollment today and they made it seem like they were worried that I wouldn't be OK with it. It is funny because if they hadn't suggested it/ just placed her in K, I probably would have asked for it! They were like, "I have heard that you are ok with this, is that right? Don't worry if you change your mind this summer or even as school is starting, we can switch it back." So interesting because this is NEVER how I imagined it playing out. I was envisioning trying to convince THEM, ect.

I hope it works out OK! 4yo seems so little for K and we just met a boy like a foot taller who will be in her class next year... yikes! But I know she can do it and I don't think they would place her there unless they thought she could do it too.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets