Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 437 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #190382 05/07/14 11:47 AM
    C
    cee Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Hello,
    I am expecting a phone call today from the math coordinator, to discuss giving my 6th grade DS10 the assessment test for accelerated 7/8 math, right now. This will determine if he should be placed in the accel 7/8 math next year, or if he's ready for 9th grade Algebra I.

Last time I spoke to the coordinator he expressed concern about a child who advances to next level too soon, having learning "gaps". Missing info that should have been learned earlier.

My son learns SUPER fast. Math has always been at a far slower pace than he needs. How should I respond to the learning gap concern? How do I know if accel 7/8 is at a good pace for him, or if THAT will be too slow? What should I request?

A
    A
    You could do out-of-level achievement testing, identify any gaps between his current knowledge and the required knowledge for grade 9, and design a plan to fill the gaps between now and September (or earlier). There may be few to no gaps, which would render the argument moot.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    P
    P
    It sounds like he's going to have to take the 7/8 math assessment test, so I think the logical starting place is to let him take the test. If it's an end-of-year test, that will tell you what he does and doesn't know from 7/8 math curriculum. Another way to determine what's in the 7/8 math curriculum is to look on your school district's website for your district's specific curriculum goals for each grade, or look at your state website if you can't find anything on your school district website. Compare the curriculums to what you know your ds has already mastered.

You can also ask that he be given an Algebra readiness test - I can't remember the name of it, but there is a test that's used nationwide (in the US) that your school district may have.

Once you have the data from tests and reviewing the curriculum, then you'll know where any potential gaps are, and you can make a plan to address them over the summer.

The other thing I'd do is to try to quantify your ds' needs. I am not sure honestly how to do it, but for instance, if I was a teacher or school staff person evaluating whether or not to put your ds in Algebra vs pre-Algebra next year, and I saw a few gaps, and the parent is saying they will put together a plan to make up the gaps - I might still be leaning toward putting the student in pre-Algebra just to be sure they get the proper background. (This isn't me speaking, I'm putting myself in the place of many of the teachers I've known). Then the parent responds with "my son learns quickly and *needs* a faster pace" or "he'll be bored with the pace" etc. Think through how you can show this, and how placing him in Algebra actually answers the need for a faster pace. My ds is also a quick learner and very good at math, and he's subject accelerated by a few grade levels in math. The gotcha with subject acceleration is that, unless you're placing the child into a faster-paced course you aren't addressing the pacing issue with subject acceleration. The flip side of that is, how do I, as a teacher, know that your ds "needs" that faster pace? What do you perceive to be the difference between "is capable of handling" and "needs"? Can you explain it? Hope that makes sense.

In other words, think through how you can logically address each of the school's concerns, and also how you can address what you want to convey re your ds' needs in a logical manner, rather than just saying "he needs a faster pace".

Hope that helps!

polarbear

polarbear

A
    A
    If your son is up for it, I think I'd be inclined to grab a copy of the grade level expectations and pre-teach the grade 7/8 curriculum before testing. Then you can be virtually assured that there will be no gaps and can quash any potential objections preemptively.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    B
    B
    Did you ever find out what topics are covered in 7/8th grade math? If not perhaps now is the time. I would them ask them very pointed questions as to what particular subjects they are worried he would have gaps in?

The math coordinator in my district really fights the trend for more and more kids to take Algebra early. Not a lot of parents I know like him. He feels that too many kids are taking math too early, and find themselves in problems in High School when they can't keep up. What he does do to try and prevent this is to make his tests about abstract thinking.

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by aquinas
    If your son is up for it, I think I'd be inclined to grab a copy of the grade level expectations and pre-teach the grade 7/8 curriculum before testing. Then you can be virtually assured that there will be no gaps and can quash any potential objections preemptively.

I agree 100%. For gifted kids in situations like this, the "gaps" are usually small things that can be taught quickly, yet they can be used as evidence that the student has to take that course in order to fill them.

Originally Posted by bluemagic
    The math coordinator in my district really fights the trend for more and more kids to take Algebra early. Not a lot of parents I know like him. He feels that too many kids are taking math too early, and find themselves in problems in High School when they can't keep up. What he does do to try and prevent this is to make his tests about abstract thinking.

He's probably right. If he's putting questions that require abstract thinking on his tests, he's also probably trying to ensure that students have a good foundation in mathematics.

We are in just about the same situation. DS10 is in 6th grade math this year and has not learned a single new concept this year and knows almost all of next year's prealgebra curriculum as well. He's never missed more than one problem on any of the tests and we have talked to his teacher about how everything this year is a review. He has even pointed out to his teacher that he did a lot of the seventh grade work last year at a different school (his teacher also teaches prealgebra and DS has seen their assignments). His teacher knows all this and will be giving him a math placement test to see if he is ready for Algebra I next year, and yet, from all our previous dealings with our daughter, we know that the likelihood of his being placed into Algebra I is slim, regardless of how he does on the placement test. My older DD took and did well on three of these tests and yet the school said she couldn't do Algebra because of "holes." Nothing we said could convince them that she actually looked forward to "holes" - that meant she would actually learn something in school. The only thing that worked for DD was for us to insist that we, her parents, would take all the blame if it all went wrong if they would just let her try. We would have signed papers attesting to that, if asked. Only then was the school willing to let her take Algebra I. And lo and behold, she got an easy A and had fewer gaps than many of the kids in the class with her who had gone through pre-Algebra.

So, anyway, we are in the same boat with DS right now, and preparing for resistance from the school. You would think that if a kid liked math and was good at math and wanted to learn higher level math that the school and teachers would be thrilled and at least encourage the student to try. The other pipe dream would be for math teachers to become mentors to such children and actually encourage them!

She thought she could, so she did.
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by Val
    Originally Posted by bluemagic

He's probably right. If he's putting questions that require abstract thinking on his tests, he's also probably trying to ensure that students have a good foundation in mathematics.
    What I forgot to say was that although I disagree with him on many things. His "algebra" readiness test that requires showing a "higher level thinking" is one thing I do agree with. This test isn't multiple choice, and has a lot of more abstract questions that require multi-step solutions.

Z
    Z
    I think there is a mismatch in a teacher or adimistrator's traditional model of kids growing math knowledge and what a highly gifted math learner can do. In fact, I'm kinda concerned about this gap in their knowledge. Maybe they shouldn't receive any advancement or salary increase until this gap is addressed. It doesn't matter if they have skills to deal with and effectively teach 99% of the students.

It's possible with some exposure and in context they'll come to understand that other 1% with little to no effort. But just to be safe, it could be better to hold back their careers until they have effective tools in place to deal with all ranges of student abilities.

Actually, it's those gaps that will go farthest in building character for the underchallenged. Being a little unready and scrambling in a couple of areas are going to teach far more valuable life skills than the math content ever will.

C
    cee Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    I imagine the math capabilities in the gifted just remain asleep when underchallenged. Nothing to reach for. If there is a gap, great! That's what morning extra help is for. It obviously serves the struggling kids but why not to let the gifted kids fill in the little mini lessons that won't take long,usually.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM