Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 371 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
    N
    N
    I should have realized this, since my kids went to a French immersion school, but math (and science I think) is different in the US than many other places. For some reason, in the US educators treat math and science as if there are neat, distinct subareas which do not depend upon or intertwine with other subareas. Algebra I is distinct from Geometry and Algebra II, Biology has nothing to do with Chemistry, etc. After seeing the European way of teaching math and science, my kids think the US way is stupid since we know these subareas cannot be used in isolation.

By the end of HS, the US kids may have covered the same math and science as their European counterparts, but if you look at things prior to then, the US kids may cover some topics earlier while the European kids cover other topics earlier.

I think my kids bisected a line around third grade, but that was at the French school. Didn't get back to that until 8th grade in the US public school.

22B Offline
    Originally Posted by 22B
    Originally Posted by 22B
    Here's a fun yes/no question. Did your child learn to read in Kindergarten?

And the analogous yes/no question. Did your child take high school geometry during high school?

In case anyone missed it, the point of these questions is this. Although there are 2 answers, yes and no, they cover 3 cases:

No, earlier.
    Yes, during.
    No, later/never.

The two "no" groups are at opposite ends of the range, but they are lumped together.

P
    P
    I don't think I studied geometry past the basics. I may be wrong but a lot of the stuff you talk about I have never done - trig yes, stats yes, algebra and calculus yes but very little geometry.

B
    B
    What one learns in U.S. High School Geometry has changed over the years. When I took it as a high school students, we learned Euclidean Geometry and learned how to do proofs properly. My DD's (regular) Geometry class was mostly a "how to" manual, that basically showed how you used these lemmas with some algebra to solve a lot of basic geometric problems. The difference with my son's "Honors" geometry class was that he was expected to learn how to do standard proofs.

Some school districts do teach a "Coordinated Math" curriculum rather than the more standard Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II. This curriculum just takes the standard topics and rearranges the order. Each year you get a bit of algebra and some geometry. I'm not qualified to say if either ordering is "better" or not.

What bluemagic said. ^

My DD started to do geometric constructions in about 5th grade, I think-- around pre-algebra, anyway. However, she did not have the kind of rigorous instruction in proofs that DH and I both vividly (and very very fondly) recall from geometry instruction. Even honors didn't do much of it-- though they were exposed to the idea, unlike the non-honors peers.

I was also (pleasantly) surprised by just how much molecular biology and biochem is in high school biology coursework these days.

22B's point is the one that I was attempting to make, btw-- at least, that is how administrative bureaucracy can see the answers to those questions if you live in a state that has very particular graduation standards. It's bizarre, and yes, asinine to have to jump through many additional hoops in order to prove that you're not in the "no, never" group... seems like burden of proof ought to be nicely satisfied by doing higher math, after all, but it's not about logic or rationality, I'm afraid.

It's about PROVING it to those who frankly could care less about my family in particular.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Originally Posted by puffin
    I don't think I studied geometry past the basics. I may be wrong but a lot of the stuff you talk about I have never done - trig yes, stats yes, algebra and calculus yes but very little geometry.

This is pretty much my memory of geometry.

Granted, I have no idea what was actually taught in a geometry class.

My father simply pushed the "master system override" button, slapped a tutor on me for a few weeks during the summer, and the class was credited to my record.

Q
    Q
    Originally Posted by madeinuk
    Originally Posted by NotSoGifted
    Guess I never heard it called high school geometry, but middle kid took geometry in middle school. Always at least a couple dozen who do this in our district. You can only take it in middle school if you are on the highest track or accelerated in math.

I remember doing Euclidian Geometry including theorems and their proofs up to the 4th postulate and the definition, at least, of parallelism at junior school before I was 11 in England back in the early Seventies. It followed right on from Arithmetic and after that we started with basic Algebra (simple linear equations).

I have never understood, given the sheer parsimony of it, why US schools wait so long to cover it.

It was cool and we got to learn to use compasses to draw and explore the properties of circles, chords, sectors, tangents, triangles, create perpendicular lines and bisect lines etc long before we learned how to use a protractor. Maybe people are afraid of injuries and lawsuits now given how discipline in schools has all but disappeared in many schools.

Actually, your assumptions are not true and have not been true for at least a decade in my children's district and many other districts (in different states) of which I am aware. There is even the term "elementary geometry" sometimes used to describe the geometry routinely covered in the elementary curriculum. Circumference, area, volume, parallel/perpendicular lines ,translating/rotating/flipping figures, and compass/protractor use are just some of the topics routinely covered in elementary school. In our district's pre-algebra curriculum, easily a third of the curriculum would be more properly classified as pre-geometry and further extends coverage of geometry-type topics. "High school" geometry, which my DS will study in 6th grade will be routinely taken in 8th grade by "GT" students(maybe about a quarter of students as the label becomes more inclusive in middle school). That "high school" geometry course will require the ability to write proofs.

Q
    Q
    Back to the original question, the answer is no. I knew and/or knew of a few students at elite colleges who did not have a high school diploma. One kid got into trouble for creating an explosion at his private school so they withheld his diploma but the college (an Ivy) still wanted him.

As for the high school graduation requirements,as long as the district approved the original coursework, there shouldn't be an impediment. Of course, your DD may be subjected to additional "assessments" and other hoops, particularly if the original coursework was not arranged with the district's blessings.

If your DD completes Calculus BC by her sophomore year, I think it is unlikely that her interest in math will then terminate. Some high schools allow/facilitate enrollment in differential equations and linear algebra. Of course, AP statistics would be invaluable in sciences and economics, etc.

B
    B
    I read once that some high schools will give credit for college courses after the student has left high school, so someone could earn a high school diploma after the first or second year of college. This would be a form of dual enrollment.

K
    Kai Offline
    K
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    I read once that some high schools will give credit for college courses after the student has left high school, so someone could earn a high school diploma after the first or second year of college. This would be a form of dual enrollment.

The community college that my son attends will give a high school diploma to anyone getting an associate's degree if requested by the student. I think this is the case statewide (WA).

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM