Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 376 guests, and 8 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
    Agreed-- but I've been working on that for nearly 25 years, and it's still my default to avoid tasks where success isn't certain in my mind. I have learned to enjoy learning, however, as opposed to "knowing."

Anyway. Tangential either way, I suppose. smile

My personal preference is for collegiate instruction, when moving beyond high school algebra and geometry. I feel that college instruction is better able to accommodate students who are divergent/creative thinkers with respect to material. High school teachers who lack graduate degrees (and, with no small frequency even a regular undergraduate emphasis in the subject) may simply not be ABLE to answer questions which exceed the scope of the curriculum. Now, that isn't to say that adjuncts or teaching assistants always can do so-- but the odds are certainly better, IME. This is still my number one reason for believing wholeheartedly that AP isn't college level.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    22B Offline
    Back on the topic of "ridiculous rules" we'll just do what we think is educationally best for our kids, and assume (or hope) that common sense will prevail.

Here's a fun yes/no question. Did your child learn to read in Kindergarten?

M
    M
    Originally Posted by 22B
    Back on the topic of "ridiculous rules" we'll just do what we think is educationally best for our kids, and assume (or hope) that common sense will prevail.

No - because both already knew how to read (self taught) before they started pre school.

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    S
    S
    Number 1 yes, learned to read in K

number 2 learned to read before k

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    A
    A
    No, DS2.5 has already self-taught.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    22B Offline
    Originally Posted by 22B

And the analogous yes/no question. Did your child take high school geometry during high school?

DD6 has learned just this year in first grade, but she is grade skipped, so she is bang on target for learning at K age.

N
    N
    Guess I never heard it called high school geometry, but middle kid took geometry in middle school. Always at least a couple dozen who do this in our district. You can only take it in middle school if you are on the highest track or accelerated in math.

N
    N
    Both DSs learned how to read halfway through first grade. Just as I was getting ready to look for LDs, their readings light clicked on, and they were suddenly 3 years ahead.

Geometry, both in high school. In our district, geometry comes after Algebra 2, which DS#2 took at the high school before his 8th grade day began.

OP Offline
    Originally Posted by NotSoGifted
    Guess I never heard it called high school geometry, but middle kid took geometry in middle school. Always at least a couple dozen who do this in our district. You can only take it in middle school if you are on the highest track or accelerated in math.

I remember doing Euclidian Geometry including theorems and their proofs up to the 4th postulate and the definition, at least, of parallelism at junior school before I was 11 in England back in the early Seventies. It followed right on from Arithmetic and after that we started with basic Algebra (simple linear equations).

I have never understood, given the sheer parsimony of it, why US schools wait so long to cover it.

It was cool and we got to learn to use compasses to draw and explore the properties of circles, chords, sectors, tangents, triangles, create perpendicular lines and bisect lines etc long before we learned how to use a protractor. Maybe people are afraid of injuries and lawsuits now given how discipline in schools has all but disappeared in many schools.

Last edited by madeinuk; 05/11/14 09:28 AM.

Become what you are
    Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs