Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 404 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #190138 05/05/14 10:12 AM
    M
    mmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Hi All!
    We had applied to the DYS program for DS5 with a portfolio and IQ test scores. The DYS team wants an achievement test score as his IQ test score did not meet the min qualification criteria. I have the following questions and I could use the wisdom of the folks on this board :

1. DS5 is strong in math and I was wondering which of the following tests would be a better fit (Kaufman Test of Educational Achievement-II,Wechsler Individual Achievement Test - II or Wechsler Individual Achievement Test-III ,Woodcock-Johnson Test of Achievement-III (WJ-III Ach).

2. Could we do just one portion of the test (Math) since DYS wants qualifying scores in only 1 section . I 'am assuming this would cost us less than doing the whole test
    3. He is going to Kindergarten next year (NJ) and is there a possibility that the school would administer any of these tests?

Thanks in advance for your time and advice

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    1. KTEA-II or WIAT-III would be my picks. Do not do the WIAT-II; it's outdated. The WJIIIACH tends to generate slightly inflated scores for very young children, but some might view that as a plus. wink

2. Yes. Make sure you get all components of math, including math reasoning/problem solving and math calculations/numerical operations. Math fluency is not important at this age.

3. I'm not familiar with NJ, but operating on general principles based on the parts of the USA with which I have experience, I would imagine, yes, if you submit a parental request letter with a clear statement of the likely educational needs that you are trying to identify. Maybe someone from NJ has more info on this? I did find this FAQ on the DOE website:
    http://www.state.nj.us/education/genfo/faq/faq_gandt.htm

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    P
    P
    Just FYI - Math Fluency is one of the subtests that goes into the Broad Math score on WJIII Ach.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Good point. But it's not required for the Mathematics Composite on the WIAT-III. WJIII also generally weights speed more, because it does include the fluency measures in the Broad scores.

Q
    qxp Offline
    Q
    My suggestion is to wait until he is over 6 and take the WISC IV and an achievement test like the WJIII to see if he qualifies. If his IQ score does not qualify now, perhaps it will later like 7 or 8 when kids have more stable IQ scores. I know it can be really appealing to get services from Davidson, but it's not beneficial to put your child into something he does not really qualify for. This does not mean that your child is not smart. Lots of gifted kids do not qualify for the Young Scholar program. It really is meant for the top 0.1% of the population.

C
    C
    For little kids what kind of motor skills are required to take the WJIII - does a child have to hold a pencil etc?

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Yes. On the WJIIIACH, pencil skills are necessary for reading fluency, spelling, spelling of sounds, writing samples, writing fluency, punctuation & capitalization, math calculations, and math fluency. Of those subtests, all but spelling of sounds and punctuation & capitalization are required for Broad scores in their respective areas. Reading fluency, writing fluency, and math fluency are also timed, so not only fine motor skills, but also speed and efficiency are important. I don't recommend putting too much weight on these three subtests in young children, as they become tests of motor skills, not academic fluency.

BTW, anyone who is contemplating having the WJ done in the near future, know that a new edition of cognitive, achievement, and oral language (recently separated from the rest of the achievement) sections of the WJIV, is coming out at the end of the summer, which will have updated norms, and will have the capacity to calculate cluster scores without the fluency measures. Make sure to ask your examiner which edition they are using, and balance the value of the potential improvements in the test with the reduced experience with the test of the examiner. (Although administration is essentially unchanged, so I don't think that will be a big factor.)

M
    mmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Thanks @aeh,qxp and Percy for your input! Totally appreciate it!

C
    C
    mmom, sent you a pm smile

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM