Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 115 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    L
    OP Offline
    L
    Dd4.5 enjoys being read to and I love reading chapter books to her- not the really long novel type books but books with less than 10 chapters. She loves books where the lead character (fictional or real) is an adventurous female. For example, pippi longstocking books and a book on Amelia Earhart.
    Any other book recommendations? Is there a kid friendly book about Nellie Bly, Madame curie, others? Thanks.

B
    B
    Dealing with Dragons by Patricia Wrede.

It's a 3 book fantasy series about a princess who doesn't want to do "princess" stuff so she decides it would be best to let a dragon capture her. Only it doesn't turn out the way she expects it. These books are chapter books, but on the shorter side. The first one has 15 chapters.

Last edited by bluemagic; 05/05/14 04:47 PM.
    N
    N
    You might try the Cam Jansen books -- girl detective, and there are lots of them.

And there's always Ramona.

L
    OP Offline
    L
    Megmeg, that link is a treasure trove! Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so much! smile

Blumagic, I will check the dealing with dragon book out- sounds like just the character my dd can relate to! We usually read for about 20 to 30 minutes before bed and some books take just a couple of days, others upto two weeks. So 15 chapters is perfect! Thanks.

Nautigal, we have read a few of the Cam Jansen. Have to look into the Ramona books. It is nice to find a series you like so you don't have to rack your brains every time you go to the library to search for new books to read. Thanks.

S
    S
    Caddie Woodlawn ....a really spunky frontier girl...

The true confessions of Charlotte Doyle by AVi (might want to save until she is older)

I personally haven't read any of these but Judy Moody books?

Series of unfortunate events

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    R
    R
    DS liked the Clementine books which are at about the same reading level as Pippi.

S
    S
    Lily quench, clementine, ronia, the girl the dragon and the wild magic, the secret unicorn (though DH read some and said it was awfully written, I'm guessing like Magic Treehouse), Celia and the fairies, Fairy Realm series, enchanted forest dragon books (Cimorene is awesome!), the girl who circumnavigated fairyland....

B
    B
    Originally Posted by St. Margaret
    Lily quench, clementine, ronia, the girl the dragon and the wild magic, the secret unicorn (though DH read some and said it was awfully written, I'm guessing like Magic Treehouse), Celia and the fairies, Fairy Realm series, enchanted forest dragon books (Cimorene is awesome!), the girl who circumnavigated fairyland....
    FYI The Dealing in Dragons that I mentioned is the first of the enchanged forest dragon books (Cimorene is awesome!) I agree she most defiantly is..

And if you haven't read them, I love many of Robert Munsch's books except for his most famous. (I'll love your forever) They aren't chapter books and a bit quirky, but they are age appropriate and many of them have a strong female main characters. For example Stephanie's Ponytail, Angela's Airplane (Annikins), The Paper Bag Princess, Alligator Baby.

L
    OP Offline
    L
    Sweetie, just read the book description of caddie Woodlawn at b&n site and she sounds like a hoot! Got to read that one to dd.

2 votes for celementine and Cimorene, added that to my list. Thank you raptor dad and st. Margaret- you have given me quite a few book suggestions. I will be busy at the library this week! Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM