Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 437 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #189619 04/28/14 07:36 AM
    D
    OP Offline
    D
    Today, I dropped my dd off in her TAG school classroom and on the way back out with my ds I ran into a substitute teacher. I said hi and asked her if she was a sub. Yes, she is and she is delighted to be there.
    She then asked my ds why HE didn't go to the TAG school and blathered on and on about not putting too much pressure on children.
    SERIOUSLY? Thanks for making my child feel about two inches tall and then worrying about putting too much pressure on children.

JEEZ OH PETES! DS and I had a nice talk about not needing to prove to anyone that he is smart and how wrong that lady was to ask him such personal questions.

daytripper75 #189684 04/29/14 05:17 AM
    L
    L
    How rude. What's wrong with people?

P
    P
    I guess they forgot to teach dealing with parents politely at teachers training.

I
    I
    Sorry this happened. So glad you spoke to your child about boundaries and that some questions may be overly personal.

Sometimes when we are annoyed as parents it is because we were unprepared for the unexpected event or obtuse question, and did not have an answer ready. Parents may wish to have a simple generic sound bite or two, or even a quick mention of a book that addresses the subject.

For example:

When asked whether the sibling attended the gifted school, a generic statement that "kids are so much more than an IQ score... interests and learning style help determine the best educational fit" may be an answer which would deflect focus from your child and also spur the sub's further growth about gifted education.

Or "That's a great question (interesting thought). The book XXX addresses that well. I think you'd like it."

daytripper75 #189751 04/29/14 02:33 PM
    W
    W
    Just wanted to say that since giftedness is in your family and you have more than one child, it is great to research sibling issues and even think in terms of the future.

Because siblings are more genetically related to each other than to the parents, don't worry about what outsiders think, just focus on helping your family.

Gifted families are really interesting. One child can think they are 'normal' and then grow up and have a gifted child who is just like their identified gifted sibling.

daytripper75 #189802 04/30/14 10:11 AM
    C
    C
    Sibling issues are tricky, I have 2 that are both above 140, but one is significantly above and a "proud nerd" type. The other thinks she is not the smart one. I have spent the last year homeschooling her proving to her otherwise and she is finally getting it that she is not just the "athletic" one in the family. I also have 2 that are adopted,average intelligence, and come with all the outside issues that come with that. Walking circumspectly is daily parenting gymnastics.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent