Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (Eagle Mum), 290 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #189357 04/24/14 07:28 PM
    F
    OP Offline
    F
    I am new to this forum. My 4 year old just received his WPPSI-III FSIQ score of 139. Can anyone help me understand what that means? We just registered him for 1st grade and I was given the runaround bc he will be 5 years 2 days when school begins but he is in K already privately as at age 4 he didn't meet the public school criteria to be in Kindergarten. I didn't get the test for school but to confirm or deny if he was gifted. Anyone else have these issues. Sorry of already posted I just want to ensure he is placed in the right educational setting and they are already treating me like I am someone who just wants my kid to be gifted etc. But he really is.

D
    D
    fmp, were you successful in registering for 1st?

In any case, I'd find out what gifted services and policies are in place in your school district. They vary tremendously, and you need to know the rules of the game...

Z
    Z
    Just for perspective, a 139 score translates to about 1 in 200 people. For a pace of learning, I'd guess in a differentiated classroom he could be making two years progress for each school year particularly in the first few years of school.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by fmp72178
    I am new to this forum.
    Welcome!

My 4 year old just received his WPPSI-III FSIQ score of 139. Can anyone help me understand what that means?
    http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/highly_profoundly.htm Scores are often in a range rather than a single number, and the score provided could be at the upper reaches of MG or into HG. A report written by the tester reveals much more information than a numeric score, and the tester may be the best source of information regarding a child which s/he tested.

confirm or deny if he was gifted.
    Were there signs of precociousness which prompted the question? A high score for a pre-school age child can in some cases indicate early learning due to an enriched environment, or even be reflective of test preps or hothousing. Scores may stabilize somewhat and be more meaningful around age 8. Schools are typically aware of this, possibly giving rise to the myth that children even out in third grade, and painfully isolating parents of gifted kiddos by labeling them as pushy or tiger parents.

Anyone else have these issues.
    Unfortunately these issues are common.

I just want to ensure he is placed in the right educational setting...
    What various options of educational settings are available to you? Have you had the opportunity to read A Parent's Guide to Gifted Children? Chapter 14 discusses Finding a Good Educational Fit. Included is a Table of Questions more important than "Is my child in a gifted program?", by Dr. Donald Treffinger.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by DeeDee
    fmp, were you successful in registering for 1st?

In any case, I'd find out what gifted services and policies are in place in your school district. They vary tremendously, and you need to know the rules of the game...

ITA re looking into what gifted services and policies are in place in your school district.

I don't know if it's the same in your district, but there is a hard-fast rule here in our district (which I've heard of elsewhere too) that a child who starts kindergarten in private school at an age younger than the public school cut-off is not allowed to transfer into first the next year.... but that age requirement is dropped magically in 2nd grade.. hence parents here used to enroll their children in K-1st grade in private school, then switch them back to public school. The same age rule applied to children transferring in from other school districts.

There are things you can request of the public school district while you're student is enrolled in private school however - for instance, if there's a part-time pull-out gifted program at his grade level, you can request testing for admission to the program and request that he participate. The flip side of that is that you also need to know details about the public school program - some gifted programs are amazing, some are not worth being a part of, and some are somewhere in between.

Re getting the feeling from school personnel that you are "just someone who wants my kid to be gifted" - that's something that a lot of parents have to deal with in advocating for their children in early elementary. The fact is, there are a lot of parents in early elementary that see their children as gifted and that want something "more" for their children. The best thing you can do in advocating is to have evidence of giftedness. The things that worked best for us were *not* IQ scores - there is some skepticism among school staff re scores, especially when children were tested at a young age. Teachers also aren't terribly familiar with IQ scores but instead understand and are very familiar with achievement testing. So what worked for us was having achievement test results as well as portfolio of our children's work which showed their abilities. You can include anectdotal things in the portfolio too - examples of his conceptual thinking ability etc. The thing I probably wouldn't put too much focus on is early reading unless it's paired with other types of achievement examples - because the reality is, there is a wide age range over which children learn to read, and there are probably at least a few early readers coming into any one kindergarten class. At least that's what we saw in our children's early kinder classes.

Hope some of that helps!

Best wishes,

polarbear

Last edited by polarbear; 04/27/14 02:15 PM.
    N
    N
    The age requirement is dropped after 1st in PA because K is not a required grade - students do not need to attend, and the district is not required to offer it.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets