Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 395 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    Hi, I have a just turned 11 yr old daughter who will be going to 6th grade next year. Our school offers 6th grade advanced math that accelerates them through 6th, most of 7th and a bit of 8th grade math course in 6th grade. Then in 7th they take Algebra I with the remaining 7th and 8th grade math topics that weren't covered (just a few things.)

We are in a state where the End of Year test (EOG) is the primary tool used for placement decisions. When my daughter was in 3rd grade she scored 99% on the Math EOG. Last year, in 4th she only scored 76%. She gets straight A's in class and has no issue with the math topics. She basically hates to test and just checks out if she's not motivated. They also changed the tests last year to match Common Core standards.

Unfortuntely, for her to get into this advanced math class next year she has to score 95% or above on either the 4th or 5th grade on the EOG. Then, after that, she would be given the Accuplacer Arthimetic test as the final indicator for this math class. She is so stressed about this years 5th grade EOG test because she understands now how important it is. She rightfully belongs in this higher math class but just doesn't do well on these standardized tests. My oldest son is on this math tract now so we are aware of expectations, etc.

Her WISC and SB5 scores put her above the 99%, we know her ability is there.

My question - How can I advocate for her without having the appropriate EOG scores? Does anyone have ideas on reseach, etc. that would help build my case?

I truly believe she can do the math necessary for this class. I don't know what happens to her on these EOG tests. The schools put so much weight on these tests. Is there a reason they can't look at their grades/performance throughout the entire year?

Thanks!

Last edited by spiritedmama; 04/14/14 06:40 PM.
    G
    G
    I look forward to hearing from others. We are in the same boat.

W
    W
    Here is just one opinion and I am not sure if it is helpful to you or not but here it goes.

In that situation, I would see if the child would be willing to read the applicable math books over the summer (sort of a gifted self-study math summer program or you could use a course, an online course or a tutor.)

If your child has no interest, you may have to let it go. The consolation is that the gifted students who picks of those books later in their life will get up to speed on the topics very quickly and will access that information when they want / need it.

As far as I know, you cannot get a gifted / highly gifted person to do anything unless they want to or are at least willing.

So, look at it analytically and if your child states later in life, "Why didn't you make me do it?" explain that it was not possible. Gifted people are very strong-willed and independent and intense in our experience.

P
    P
    She may do better this year knowing how important it is. I don't see you can do much except help her study for the test and check out if there is another way in. I would say they even if there are exceptions she would have to be close to the cut off though. It sounds like a great programme though so I hope it works out.

L
    L
    spiritedmama.
    I can understand your dilemma.

My suggestion is to let it go. Have her study over the summer and eventually when she feels less pressured she will rise up to the occasion. Yes you may feel you are wasting a couple of years but as high school rolls in and with the help of enrichment in math at home. She will bounce back to where she belongs !

We are having to deal with this in Chess. My DS 11 is very gifted in chess but suffers from tournament anxiety and never performs to his potential. So we are letting him chill without the pressure of top performance..He is continuing to learning and practicing in the meantime!
    He is equally gifted in math, but surprising doesn't display this behavior ( anxiety for tests/ competitions) in math ( yet !!).

Very cool @ her above 99% scores in WISC and SB5.She definitely has the potential no doubt.
    Can you share a few tips with me about those tests ?

Good luck with EOG tests....look for released tests for that grade and have her see some of the sample problems and reassure her she will do great!

I would first do what I can to ensure DD gets the score she needs, because if that can happen, problem solved.

She seems to already value doing well, so that's a big part of the problem solved. As a next step, I'd see where I can find practice materials and test her, to see if there are any skills she needs to work on. Is she managing her time well, or is she getting anxious about the time limit and rushing through? Is she reading the instructions carefully? Are there any skill areas that need some review? Etc.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations