Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 334 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    P
    Portia Offline OP
    OP Offline
    P
    I come again for advice.

Last edited by Portia; 03/20/15 06:00 PM.
    Ooooo-- I remember the human evolution one with DD around this age, maybe a little younger. She was seriously distressed to think that all of human civilization and all of humanity was... well... going to go away.

Two things helped her:

a) Doctor Who. (IMMV-- but this promoted a more positive 'futuristic' view that really appealed to her sense of justice, empathy, etc.)

b) pretending to be a tiny little purgatorius, looking around at the great achievements of human civilization-- Oooooooo the WONDER of it all....

This gave a hope that while yes, we're all sort of "in transition" as it were, it probably won't occur to our future offspring to mourn much in light of what natural selection offers them in the way of sheer GAIN on our limitations. Kind of exciting when you think about it!

laugh

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    B
    B
    My understanding is this is common in a gifted kid. I've seen it in a friends child, and to some extent in my own DS15 although he was never bad enough for it to cause nightmares. My son wrote an essay at school in 1st grade that that implied he might as well die now because we are all going to eventually die, or something along those lines I've forgotten the details. We had to have a meeting with the principal because anything that looks like a suicide note has to be taken seriously. His teacher/principal understood it was because of his giftedness and he wasn't really contemplating suicide. He really wasn't, he was just wondering.

I don't have any great advice. It sounds like you are handling it as I would. Talking about the positive and that other people are working on these issues. The only thing I can think of is to try keep him off these topics close to bedtime.

Good Luck.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by Portia
    ... energy consumption... rate of consumption... impacts on future fossil fuel energy sources. He doesn't know how to solve the problem of providing unlimited energy, not pollute the environment, yet still enjoy the lifestyle humans enjoy today (cars, A/C, etc.).
    While not addressing the big issues at a psychological or philosophical processing level, this may be 20 minutes of positive exploration on energy? Bloom fuel cells http://www.bloomenergy.com/

This teen's invention generated power from the ocean's waves, using a gyroscope: http://articles.latimes.com/2005/jan/05/local/me-class5

Some may say that the technological and scientific answers which are needed may already exist, however established industries may be entrenched an possibly working to maintain policies which prevent the widespread adoption/distribution of solutions. For example, if homes could be heated/cooled for pennies per month, existing energy companies may be reluctant to find their industry obsolete. Another example may be the many appliances which are created to be always "on" and drawing power for their internal clocks and timers.

Some people return to one of their childhood passions for their career. It just may be that he will feel called to address big issues, such as those with the environment.

J
    J
    Also looking for ways of coping with and positively harnessing emotional intensity.

I agree with said. Adding, I wonder if identifying whether the struggle manifesting the nightmares is more closely focused on grand scale inevitabilities or a projection of those impacts on his life here/ now. Chewing on a Meta (e.g. awareness, cognition...) can yield considerable anxiety, and so can dealing with a dream immersing in illogical and amplified projection of tomorrow coming today. Does he have any experience with meditating (maybe visualizing putting his thoughts on a special shelf or in a box... in his mind) or clearing his mind through enjoyed activities requiring less thought than follow through? Maybe trying an exercise in mindfully putting his thoughts to rest after 20 minutes.. would be helpful in validating their worthiness for further contemplation while recognizing that e.g. catastrophic or evolutionary extinction is not a rapidly approaching event to navigate or perish today, and that he is not alone in his efforts to find a "solution" - that while he is resting his mind others are pursuing it.

And fully support HK's suggestion of Dr. Who. smile

Good luck and sweeter dreams

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs