Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 115 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    N
    OP Offline
    N
    Shivers!

Q
    Q
    In my limited experience, some kids test about the same on both the SAT and the ACT while other kids do worse on the SAT. For some reason, the other way around seem less common, although my samples are skewed towards the high end. The ACT is achievement oriented and appears to test basic straightforward knowledge covered in standard high school courses. The SAT is still kind of a hybrid ability/achievement test although the current version isn't accepted as IQ equivalents anymore. The SAT appear to required somewhat more fluid thinking rather than basic knowledge.

This likely doesn't apply anymore but the SAT and the ACT cohort used to be very different. In the 1980's, top schools on either coast did not accept the ACT and many top students viewed the ACT as a basic achievement test.

22B Offline
    Originally Posted by GF2
    I don't know about the ACT, but my impression of the SAT is in line with what HK's dd reports. Looking at SAT prep books, the SAT math is fairly easy theoretically and computationally, but the problems often involve a series of calculations and a twist or trick at the end. So, for example, perhaps the hard part of the question is that you have to factor a quadratic equation and it takes awhile to do so, but the question asked in the end is not the value of x or y but is (due to a twist in the question) actually 1/2 x. Maybe that's not a good example, but what I'm getting at is that I and my dc's tend to see a math question and jump to what's hard and what's (usually) important, which in this case would be doing the factoring right. We might process it so quickly that we don't read the extra sentence at the end saying that the value requested is 1/2x. That's why the SAT gives an advantage to preparation: you will have seen that trick a million times and will watch for it.

I know nothing about these tests, but if the SAT has these kinds of "tricks", then it is prudent to at least spend some time to be prepared for them.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM