Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 404 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    DD jokingly started a craft "business" last fall/winter. She probably sold about two dozen items before turning down orders and telling her customers that she was "closing" her busines. While she liked the money, she got tired of the boring items that her customers wanted to order and felt that it took too much time away from her experimenting and creating new items. I pretty much told her to do whatever she wanted with only two rules: the items must be perfect and the prices reasonable.

She created a bunch of new items recently, which she had no intention of selling. However, she has gotten quite a few "pleas" and "offers." She refused to sell the items on her but did accept a few orders to create duplicates (but with different patterns/colors) for her customers.

Anyhow, DD approached me to help her take her business online over the summer since she is a minor. She already has some ideas where she wants to market and it is feasible. She had also created a webpage previously, which showcased a few of the items, but might have taken that down since.

The big issues to me are liability and practicality. While I can easily create an LLC for her to address liability issues, it isn't worth the costs (filing fees and annual costs) since I don't expect her business to generate sufficient revenue. The other issue is creating a practical shipping structure (reasonable charges that are financially viable). There is also payment issues but I think a paypal system will mostly work.

Anyhow, anyone with relevant experience or ideas?

U
    U
    My DD actually had an Etsy store for a brief time to sell her art (all her idea) when she was about 6. That would be the easiest way and there are other children with stores there. However, the reason we closed ours was that we were getting some odd interest, including someone who just wanted to send DD money and to "commission" works of angels and stuff. I think she (of course, was it a she?) was harmless, but it spooked me a little. It's a risk.

U
    U
    I did have a photo of DD which was surely a mistake.

A
    A
    Etsy and Ebay are some of the easiest options for an individual seller. Making an LLC involves registration, filing taxes etc which may not be good for your DD's profitability in the early stages. Good luck!

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    Etsy was one of her ideas as well. That does sounds a little creepy! I don't think that I would allow her to put her picture online where there's public access. Although she has a lot of freedom with electronics/internet, she knows not to use her real name or real age.

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    Those are the options that she is looking at although with my help, she can creat her own site. I know what you mean about the LLC. I just have this inclination to protect her (and me) although the risks are relatively low.

U
    U
    Etsy would vastly increase her chances of selling product. Yes, I would depersonalize it as much as possible. You might actually just not mention at all that she is a child/teen (not sure of her age).

DD has piggybacked onto an adult family member's Etsy page.

That's one idea.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by ashley
    Etsy and Ebay are some of the easiest options for an individual seller. Making an LLC involves registration, filing taxes etc which may not be good for your DD's profitability in the early stages. Good luck!
    By all means, be sure to file correct paperwork, business records, taxes, etc.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by Quantum2003
    While she liked the money, she got tired of the boring items that her customers wanted to order and felt that it took too much time away from her experimenting and creating new items.

I don't have any expertise to offer up advice, but I am curious about one thing - has she thought through the possibility that this same type of thing may happen again with her online business?

polarbear

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs