Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Quantum2003 Crafty DD wants to take business online - 04/10/14 02:55 PM
DD jokingly started a craft "business" last fall/winter. She probably sold about two dozen items before turning down orders and telling her customers that she was "closing" her busines. While she liked the money, she got tired of the boring items that her customers wanted to order and felt that it took too much time away from her experimenting and creating new items. I pretty much told her to do whatever she wanted with only two rules: the items must be perfect and the prices reasonable.

She created a bunch of new items recently, which she had no intention of selling. However, she has gotten quite a few "pleas" and "offers." She refused to sell the items on her but did accept a few orders to create duplicates (but with different patterns/colors) for her customers.

Anyhow, DD approached me to help her take her business online over the summer since she is a minor. She already has some ideas where she wants to market and it is feasible. She had also created a webpage previously, which showcased a few of the items, but might have taken that down since.

The big issues to me are liability and practicality. While I can easily create an LLC for her to address liability issues, it isn't worth the costs (filing fees and annual costs) since I don't expect her business to generate sufficient revenue. The other issue is creating a practical shipping structure (reasonable charges that are financially viable). There is also payment issues but I think a paypal system will mostly work.

Anyhow, anyone with relevant experience or ideas?
My DD actually had an Etsy store for a brief time to sell her art (all her idea) when she was about 6. That would be the easiest way and there are other children with stores there. However, the reason we closed ours was that we were getting some odd interest, including someone who just wanted to send DD money and to "commission" works of angels and stuff. I think she (of course, was it a she?) was harmless, but it spooked me a little. It's a risk.
I did have a photo of DD which was surely a mistake.
Posted By: ashley Re: Crafty DD wants to take business online - 04/10/14 03:30 PM
Etsy and Ebay are some of the easiest options for an individual seller. Making an LLC involves registration, filing taxes etc which may not be good for your DD's profitability in the early stages. Good luck!
Etsy was one of her ideas as well. That does sounds a little creepy! I don't think that I would allow her to put her picture online where there's public access. Although she has a lot of freedom with electronics/internet, she knows not to use her real name or real age.
Those are the options that she is looking at although with my help, she can creat her own site. I know what you mean about the LLC. I just have this inclination to protect her (and me) although the risks are relatively low.
Etsy would vastly increase her chances of selling product. Yes, I would depersonalize it as much as possible. You might actually just not mention at all that she is a child/teen (not sure of her age).
DD has piggybacked onto an adult family member's Etsy page.

That's one idea.
Posted By: indigo Re: Crafty DD wants to take business online - 04/10/14 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by ashley
Etsy and Ebay are some of the easiest options for an individual seller. Making an LLC involves registration, filing taxes etc which may not be good for your DD's profitability in the early stages. Good luck!
By all means, be sure to file correct paperwork, business records, taxes, etc.
Originally Posted by Quantum2003
While she liked the money, she got tired of the boring items that her customers wanted to order and felt that it took too much time away from her experimenting and creating new items.

I don't have any expertise to offer up advice, but I am curious about one thing - has she thought through the possibility that this same type of thing may happen again with her online business?

polarbear
Posted By: aquinas Re: Crafty DD wants to take business online - 04/10/14 06:42 PM
I vote for Etsy for sales.

Not knowing what types of pieces she produces, if she's interested from more of a creative/artistic perspective, maybe she could ask a local gallery to feature her work on display or participate at a local crafter's fair.
You are right about Etsy - if nothing else, there will be lots of traffic since it is high on google list.
I need to check it out, but an Etsy account may need to go under my name unless they don't verify age or require other info that a child would not have.
That's the headachy part of her venture although there are miniumums for tax returns.
The difference with the online business is that she can withdraw items that she no longer wants to create. It is harder in real life because the items she finds boring are on display.
The local crafter fair may be an option, but again it would require my assistance/time, which is not always convenient.
Originally Posted by Quantum2003
The difference with the online business is that she can withdraw items that she no longer wants to create. It is harder in real life because the items she finds boring are on display.

I was thinking more that having changed her mind previously, gotten bored with making the same thing etc - she might still be a bit young for following through with keeping up with a website. She can take things offline, but she has to be sure her site is up-to-date. She'd have to be committed to following through with orders, and what happens if she's got 5 people who ordered the same thing and she gets bored after making #3... things like that. She may also find that there will be customers who will window-shop one week, come back the next week to find their item gone... who will ask her to make it anyway. All things that can be handled - just sounds like it might be a bit larger commitment than it seems up front.

polarbear
Absolutely! I would not be surprised if she gets tired of it, but that too is part of the learning experience. I guess I want to support her by giving her the opportunity to try things. While I do expect that she will be able to sell some items, I really don't expect customers to be beating down her door. She is talented but so are countless other people.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum