Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 97 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #187835 04/10/14 10:30 AM
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Anyone have any experience with this cyber-school? An acquaintance (slowly becoming a friend of mine, it looks like) pulled her son (who has dyspraxia) out of school and is cyberschooling him there. She's going to tell me about it when we meet for coffee next. Shockingly, Connections is covering his therapies (expensive private therapies and this progressive therapy place) too. I am amazed by this. This is the second time I have heard of someone utilizing this academy in my area - the other was a friend of a friend whose daughter went part-time to a charter school and did connections part-time. Just wondering if anyone here has had any experiences? My interest is defintiely piqued!

Last edited by Irena; 04/10/14 10:31 AM.
    PM me, please.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by Irena
    Shockingly, Connections is covering his therapies (expensive private therapies and this progressive therapy place) too.

If it operates as a charter school, then they'd have to provide related services under IDEA. They get funding from the district. Now, if this charter school is putting expensive services that the district doesn't want to pay for left and right, ahem, my guess is that someone might try to put a stop to that eventually.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by Mana
    Originally Posted by Irena
    Shockingly, Connections is covering his therapies (expensive private therapies and this progressive therapy place) too.

If it operates as a charter school, then they'd have to provide related services under IDEA. They get funding from the district. Now, if this charter school is putting expensive services that the district doesn't want to pay for left and right, ahem, my guess is that someone might try to put a stop to that eventually.

Ditto. We don't have Connections Academy in our state but we have a similar setup through a different provider (similar and different). Since Connections states they are operating as a public charter school, they are collecting state funds for educating each student and they are in turn required to identify students and provide services under IDEA.

I'm also going to pm you smile

polarbear

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...