Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 331 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #187553 04/08/14 12:36 PM
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    Newbie to Davidson and to this Forum. Can use some advice, because we are in trouble. frown My son is an 8th grader at a well ranked Southern CA middle school. We knew he was bright, but individual testing very recently revealed him to be exceptional/profoundly gifted. Seems to explain his pattern of behaving disruptively (challenging, joking) in classes taught by his weaker teachers. Not acceptable, but he cannot seem to conform (or at least keep quiet) in these classes. He is also underachieving academically.

He is a wonderful kid -- extroverted, funny, trustworthy, honest, well-liked by peers and most adults. The gifted tester informed me he was unusual -- most kids with his IQ were like "little professors" but this child is a "guys guy" type, which seems to be quite true.

Unfortunately, after "many chances" the school informed me last week my son must attend 4th qtr 8th grade at another middle school in the district in a special, segregated small program for kids who can benefit from "more structure and attention", due to his disruptive behavior.

I was collecting information in preparation for advocating gifted differentiation in High School -- this has thrown me. I seek any advice on effective advocacy, best practices for helping my son. Thank you. p.s. family situation is stable, loving, supportive. Good health, no learning disabilities, etc.

22B Offline
    Homeschool. Obviously the school for "problem kids" is out of the question. You could see if the current school will reconsider based on the testing results.

What is the school's explanation for his behavioral problems?

Have they even attempted to evaluate what might be at the bottom of it? You state underachievement-- so shouldn't the school be interested in this, too??

Sheesh-- what if it were a communication/interpersonal disability or a mental health issue?? Wouldn't they have an obligation to exercise child-find procedures?

crazy

I'd ask what they feel will benefit your CHILD in their recommended "placement change" at this time.

If there isn't anything, challenge them to provide evidence that his conduct is having a negative impact on other students, firstly, and secondly, that there is "nothing" more that they can do about this.

OF COURSE go in with documents in hand-- because that may open the door to accessing higher level material.

Have you considered a grade skip directly into high school?

Last edited by HowlerKarma; 04/08/14 01:54 PM.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    I would ask them how many chances they had given your DS to be in educational environments suited to his ability level.

I would also suggest that "more structure" is likely to exacerbate any perceived issues with authority.

I would ask to see detailed complaints so I can understand exactly what we're talking about. Not interested in general, unsubstantiated teacher whining... I want documentation for each time he was sent to the dean's office that describes each incident in detail and what the plan was to resolve each issue.

I would also suggest that a segregated, small program is exactly the kind of educational environment that research supports for children like yours, but it should be defined by ability level, not disciplinary level.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by thewayweroll
    Newbie to Davidson and to this Forum. Can use some advice, because we are in trouble. frown My son is an 8th grader at a well ranked Southern CA middle school. We knew he was bright, but individual testing very recently revealed him to be exceptional/profoundly gifted. Seems to explain his pattern of behaving disruptively (challenging, joking) in classes taught by his weaker teachers. Not acceptable, but he cannot seem to conform (or at least keep quiet) in these classes. He is also underachieving academically.

He is a wonderful kid -- extroverted, funny, trustworthy, honest, well-liked by peers and most adults. The gifted tester informed me he was unusual -- most kids with his IQ were like "little professors" but this child is a "guys guy" type, which seems to be quite true.

Unfortunately, after "many chances" the school informed me last week my son must attend 4th qtr 8th grade at another middle school in the district in a special, segregated small program for kids who can benefit from "more structure and attention", due to his disruptive behavior.

I was collecting information in preparation for advocating gifted differentiation in High School -- this has thrown me. I seek any advice on effective advocacy, best practices for helping my son. Thank you. p.s. family situation is stable, loving, supportive. Good health, no learning disabilities, etc.
    Doesn't sound that odd in a gifted bored 8th grade boy. My son got in big trouble in his science class last year(the only class not honors) for doodling because the teacher thought he was drawing a caricature of her. He was just doodling because he was bored. She was the only teacher who didn't recommend him for honors in H.S.

I want to suggest homeschooling but some districts are very picky what class they have been in for placement in H.S. What math class is he in? In my District (also a well ranked So. CA district) if you homeschool you can not move back into accelerated/honors math, PERIOD. There are no exceptions, I was just talking with a mother who's 8th grader who gave up and is homeschooling him Algebra II because they hated the teacher (the one my son has) and the schedule was impossible. They only works because he will be going to private school next year. If he was to stay in the public school, he would have to have finished Algebra II within the system.

In my district admission into H.S. honors/AP are only allowed based on achievement. Until 8th grade, my son had to be placed in the honors class because he was tested as gifted even if he misbehaved. (We had misbehaving problems in 6th grade, that continued slightly into 7th.)

Not sure what to do honestly. Can you look into private schools for next year? Homeschooling? Online schooling?

I
    I
    Originally Posted by thewayweroll
    I seek any advice on effective advocacy, best practices for helping my son.
    Hopefully not too late for the traditional advocacy materials... ?

The list below contains just a few of the many advocacy how-to resources available free online and accessible to all.
    1- Advocacy - Working with your child's school http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/Articles_id_10558.aspx
    2- Guidebook - Advocating for Exceptionally Gifted Young People, plus lists of other resources http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/browse_resources_165.aspx
    3- Basic educational options for gifted children http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/Articles_id_10270.aspx
    4- Choosing the right school for your gifted child http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/Articles_id_10511.aspx

There are also many helpful books, including A Parent's Guide to Gifted Children with Chapter 14 about finding a good educational fit, Academic Advocacy for Gifted Children by Barbara Gilman.

Iowa Acceleration Scale (IAS). http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/iowa_accel_scale.htm

For the immediate situation: To earn a second chance, some schools have accepted a student's essay on what they have learned (from the error of their ways). For example, if he has learned that he would not want to be separated from his friends and he understands that the price of this is exemplary behavior (list several specific positive behaviors), essentially becoming a role model and leader in this area, encouraging others to demonstrate respect. He may also have learned that being presented with an academic/intellectual challenge would help him maintain focus. You may wish to have him write his best heartfelt essay pronto and turn it in tomorrow, possibly multiple copies to teacher, principal, all decision makers. If it works, great. If not, it may become the basis for a college essay, scholarship essay, or book. You may wish to be the coach and think of this as serious DIY PR and "packaging". http://www.amazon.com/What-Schools-Other-Parents-toKnow/dp/0452289521, http://www.amazon.com/What-Colleges-Dont-Other-Parents/dp/0452288541.

Z
    Z
    Highly gifted at that age, I'd think it is time for a serious life goal discussion. He should be of a mind to discuss what things drive him, what he enjoys learning. What sort of experiences he wants. When in school has he been excited to go, etc. As well as planning on how he can take control of turning thngs around, asking himself why he ats as he does. Are there other avenues/approaches to get the same positive results without the negative. Also, might be a good time to find a semi-academic summer camp that will let him stretch and explore his capabilities like robotics or game programming, etc.

Zen Scanner #187600 04/08/14 06:04 PM
    I
    I
    Well said. Kiddos develop internal locus of control, and take full responsibility for their decisions/actions.

T
    OP Offline
    T
    Thanks to all of you for your advice and perspective; your comments are welcome and helpful. I'm on a learning curve for sure.

For what it's worth...some lessons learned so far:

1. One cannot assume that public schools, even "top ranked" schools, employ practices or protocols targeted to help a child in a specific academic or behavioral quandary. Schools may be primarily interested in protecting their institutional interests, and not the children. Or maybe administrators are just incompetent.

2. As a result, sometimes strategic and persistent parental advocacy is required (I know I'm singing to the choir, but this is new to me).

3. Parents of gifted kids should not rely on group test scores; esp. at the first sign of trouble, parents should have their child individually tested.

4. There is often a big difference between kids at different levels of giftedness. EG and PG gifted kids categorically (may) have different learning challenges.

5. Don't use yourself or your own experience, gifted or not, as a point of reference for guiding your child.

Do you agree?

Here is where I am:

I will advocate for my son at his existing school to better identify and address his needs. Hopefully he can return to his favored high school next year.

He'll finish next quarter at the alternative group scenario (unless it is dangerous), reinforcing to him that his actions and decisions will guide his future in a very tangible way.

I will continue to support him on his exciting individual journey, reinforce his interests and passions, expose him to everything possible, and trust that at the end of the day, his emotional development will catch up with his intellectual advancement. [P.S. His life goal at age 13 is to work in a record store, and he is unable to entertain a grander calling at this time.]

I
    I
    You've received posts with a lot of useful information. In reading point 5, a saying comes to mind: "When you've met one gifted child, you've met one gifted child!" That saying reinforces that each is a unique individual.

Wishing you well.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM