Newbie to Davidson and to this Forum. Can use some advice, because we are in trouble. frown My son is an 8th grader at a well ranked Southern CA middle school. We knew he was bright, but individual testing very recently revealed him to be exceptional/profoundly gifted. Seems to explain his pattern of behaving disruptively (challenging, joking) in classes taught by his weaker teachers. Not acceptable, but he cannot seem to conform (or at least keep quiet) in these classes. He is also underachieving academically.

He is a wonderful kid -- extroverted, funny, trustworthy, honest, well-liked by peers and most adults. The gifted tester informed me he was unusual -- most kids with his IQ were like "little professors" but this child is a "guys guy" type, which seems to be quite true.

Unfortunately, after "many chances" the school informed me last week my son must attend 4th qtr 8th grade at another middle school in the district in a special, segregated small program for kids who can benefit from "more structure and attention", due to his disruptive behavior.

I was collecting information in preparation for advocating gifted differentiation in High School -- this has thrown me. I seek any advice on effective advocacy, best practices for helping my son. Thank you. p.s. family situation is stable, loving, supportive. Good health, no learning disabilities, etc.