Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 270 guests, and 22 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #187011 04/03/14 04:32 PM
    L
    ljoy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    DD7 is enthralled with writing novels. She has an intuitive grasp of how to plan a plot out, make smaller challenges that build to a climax, include bits that are exciting, etc. Does anyone know of resources to help her add more sophisticated techniques to her toolbox - point of view, themes, something? Ideally this would also apply to her second favorite activity, planning out movies.

Recreational reading - check. Recreational math - check. Recreational writing - ?

Z
    Z
    How far out is her reading level?

S
    S

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    L
    ljoy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Zen- not far out, but rising relatively fast. Two months ago she was on Elephant and Piggie, now she's on Magic Treehouse. She refused to read unless it was a story with a Big Problem.

Sweetie, that's just the sort of thing I was looking for! Thanks.

G
    G
    Do you happen to have a local literary center or writers guild? We have a few that run workshops for kid novelists, particularly in the summer.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by ljoy
    DD7 is enthralled with writing novels...
    National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) maintains a webpage of helpful links: http://ywp.nanowrimo.org/helpful-links

S
    S
    Originally Posted by ljoy
    Zen- not far out, but rising relatively fast. Two months ago she was on Elephant and Piggie, now she's on Magic Treehouse. She refused to read unless it was a story with a Big Problem.

Sweetie, that's just the sort of thing I was looking for! Thanks.

I took an education class on writing and through that class had to interact with this author through his website (it was a poetry assignment). I happen to really enjoy this author's poetry and books, and as a person.

Last edited by Sweetie; 04/03/14 06:31 PM. Reason: Typo

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    A
    A
    So, I'm sitting here with my writing group tonight and we're all (supposed to be) critiquing manuscripts submitted to our fiction writing workshop, so I took a poll. Here's the group advice from several published fiction writers & semi-pros: don't worry about technique much. The best way to learn to write is to read, read, read and to write, write, write. She's smart: she'll learn through observation and practice. What she probably most needs is for you to be enthusiastic when she shares her work with you.

So maybe you might read what she's writing now and then and give some basic pointers (for example: in a good story, there's a series of difficult problems that the characters overcome in the climax; a story should have a beginning, a middle, and an ending; you shouldn't invent a bunch of characters you don't really need). Everybody here started writing as a kid, and nobody did much to intentionally develop technique until they were teenagers.

Also, the #1 thing a fiction writer needs is creativity. I have read many manuscripts that had all the technique in the world and were still incredibly boring stories.

At her age, you may be able to find some summer camps and extension classes focused on creative writing. You'll definitely be able to, when she's a couple years older. You might also look for programs like the Young Authors program, or programs through local writer's organizations near you aimed at youth.

In the fall, you might look at NaNoWriMo -- they have a youth novel writing project in addition to their annual adult program. I'm not sure about kids, but the adults have a community forum where they can share their progress and talk about what they're writing.

Z
    Z
    We have a ton of writing books at my house geared towards adult readers. The most useful sort I've found, though, are ones with specific writing assignments. It is a good way to practice and focus on elements of technique. Practice good; focused practice better.

S
    S
    This might be fun...

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/home-gift-642-things-to-write-about-young-writers-edition/27386961

And there is an adult one...I would look at them both.

I think I am getting one for my son to use this summer. He needs to work on the ability to just write without anxiety with a time limit. We are writing a 504 for additional time on assignments as needed but it would be nice if he could pick up speed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM