Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (jenjunpr), 412 guests, and 31 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    A
    A
    Yes, I know DD's, we had her tested with the WPPSI at 4.5 because we were thinking of applying for her to a local gifted private school and the score was required; and with the WISC this spring (age 8) mostly because we have had such a horrible time getting any academic accommodations whatsoever. As it turns out the school still won't do anything for her, but her scores qualify her for DYS so that's well worth the expensive of having it done.

I was given some IQ test when I was in 1st grade to qualify me for gifted services in my district. The score was in my high school record and I found it there after high school; but I don't know what test was given so I don't know exactly what scale was used, so it was only a semi-meaningful number.

C
    C
    DH and I have never been tested (as far as we know anyways). Gifted education was not an option where we grew up. We think of ourselves as fairly smart but we're also continuously surrounded by extremely bright people which eventually warps your perspective of average.

DS was tested at 6.5. His WISC-IV scores were all over the place. We were only given percentiles for the subcategories and a range for the GAI which spans a couple of the gifted subgroups. He hasn't officially been labelled LD because of his age but they figure he will be. I usually don't think of him in terms of MG/HG/EG/PG and simply stick with the generic gifted term because quite honestly he occasionally seems like he could be any of them and sometimes quite a few more going all the way down to below average wink Asynchronous is his middle name. We will retest in the next year or two to hopefully have a bit more accurate picture and sort out the LD question. For the most part we just follow his lead and try to keep up at home while school focuses on the LD side. He's already qualified for the gifted program but it doesn't start for another year.

DD5 hasn't been tested. At times she seems way ahead of him but at others she pales in comparison. My gut says she some flavor of gifted but we'll have to wait and see.

P
    P
    I was tested for GT program and scores in the 130's both verbal and nonverbal and total(I was in a self-contained program so they did a WISC)so technically gifted but just moderately so. DH was also given a wisc (in 7th grade) and scored 160+ in all areas. His report stated that he got full credit for every item on the test, so most def. PG. DD is much more like her dad than her mom and most of the time I just watch them with my mouth open:).
    I did not know that DH had been evaluated (he did not remember) but when I told his mom about DD she found the report for me. You may want to ask your spouse's parents:).

Last edited by psychland; 04/02/14 06:14 PM.
    M
    M
    I have no idea on myself or my spouse.

Our ds took the SB5 in 2009 when he was 6 yr 5 months and 6 days old. He scored in the HG range. The interesting thing was his subtest, the QR was the lowest and that is where he shines. It was an eye opener and a good tool for advocacy. He has always been way over the 99% in his map scores. In 3rd grade he took the EXPLORE and hit above DYS benchmarks across the board.

The public school he was in bombed him with test for a couple years. At the end of 4th grade we put a stop to it. We had enough data IMO.

His OLSAT scores were much lower, the school kept pointing this out. He thinks the OLSAT is a stupid test, he didn't care if he didn't finish it.

I'm normal- 125 IQ, my DH is 165. My boys are currently being screened at school though we know for sure they are gifted, I'm anxious to see their official scores. We will be getting gifted IEPs.

We have other scores for now through cogat, map test, grAde and dibles.

Last edited by 2GiftedBoys; 04/03/14 03:12 PM.
    D
    D
    I know mine and I know my son's. I was tested in the 80's with the WISC in order to qualify for gifted services. I scored in the moderately gifted range.

DS was tested with the RIAS at age 6 in order to qualify for gifted services. He scored in the 99.99th percentile at 155. I'm not sure how that translates to other tests, though. I say HG+, because given how he operates, he seems to be in the exceptionally gifted range but doesn't have the EG IQ score that I see listed in most places.

We were considering additional testing because we were having a challenge advocating for full-time gifted services. (I'm not kidding here - 99.99th percentile. Insert eye roll). We may still do that to see if he qualifies for DYS, but we have to give it some thought given that it would cost a lot.

Originally Posted by Diamondblue
    DS was tested with the RIAS at age 6 in order to qualify for gifted services. He scored in the 99.99th percentile at 155. I'm not sure how that translates to other tests, though. I say HG+, because given how he operates, he seems to be in the exceptionally gifted range but doesn't have the EG IQ score that I see listed in most places.

This gets back to my point that what we are measuring and what is actually happening are possibly two different things, in this case where you test lower than your actual peer group.

I've never taken an IQ test before so I don't really know for sure. Based on my ACT score, grades in school and other state standardized tests, I would guess something like 125-130 but that is a guess. I know my husband did really well on the MAT (I think that's what it is?) I think his is higher than that - maybe 135-140ish.

My son did the WISC IV and WJ III at 6.5 because of behavior issues in school. We needed to know what we were dealing with. His scores were very scattered due to what we later found out was visual processing issues. His WJ III was 143 I think but that is with his issues - I am guessing he may be closer to 150 or higher. I think we will retest when we get through vision therapy.

Mom to 2 kiddos - DS 9 with SPD and visual processing issues and DD 6 who is NT
    I've never taken an IQ test before so I don't really know for sure. Based on my ACT score, grades in school and other state standardized tests, I would guess something like 125-130 but who knows. We didn't really have a gifted program in my school and what they did have was pretty informal I think so I only got an invite to do some independent study type of stuff in HS. I know the school did ask my parents if they wanted me to skip first grade but they decided against it. I know my husband did really well on the MAT (I think that's what it is called?) I think his is higher than mine - maybe 135-140ish.

My son did the WISC IV and WJ III at 6.5 because of behavior issues in school. We needed to know what we were dealing with. His scores were very scattered due to what we later found out was visual processing issues. His WJ III was 143 but that is with his issues - I am guessing he may be closer to 150 or higher. I think we will retest when we get through vision therapy.

Mom to 2 kiddos - DS 9 with SPD and visual processing issues and DD 6 who is NT
    P
    P
    Originally Posted by bluemagic
    And if so what tests did you use to determine it? At what age? Are there other tests you used to determine your child was HG+ or PG?

I don't know what my IQ is, although I think I have a reasonably good idea based on my placement in classes in school, how well I did in those classes, how little I paid attention in school, combined with my SAT etc scores and... in hindsight.. I am an extremely intense and passionate personality and I go way farther "all in" and in more detail when I work on a project than most of my acquaintances... so I wonder now if part of that is a gifted thing?

I have IQ #s for each of my children - for my ds we first tested for a gifted program in the school district, because he was one of those kids who when he opened his mouth and spoke at 3, other adults jaws dropped. A friend recommended we test for the school district gifted program. Later on he had another IQ test as part of an eval for 2e. And he's had more since from school district and repeated neuropsychs all as part of advocating for his 2e.

My dds also had IQ testing as part of screening for 2e (one is, one isn't). Each child has had the WISC and the WJ-III Test of Cognitive Abilities. Personally I like the WJ-III best because I've received more detailed info from it.

I ask because I've been feeling a bit uncomfortable in some of these threads because I don't really KNOW "how gifted" my DS15 is because he has never had any sort of formal IQ testing.

Try not to feel uncomfortable. The reason most of us are here is we are looking for help with advocacy etc. I personally do not think that the IQ number is the end-all definition of what type of services and classes any of our children need in school - I feel strongly that each child is an individual and that the gut feelings we have about our children's needs, as parents, are our best guidepost in advocating. The flip side to that, however, is that sometimes it's necessary to have testing and have ability/achievement scores to share when advocating so that school staff understand you're not just any parent off the street who just thinks their child is really smart.

My older DD is not gifted and I do have her IQ somewhere in the piles of IEP documents and and testing done for her LD. I wasn't that concerned by the exact score and she was listed as above average in intelligence, but because learning disability she struggled with achievement.

Are you sure she isn't gifted? Depending on the nature of her LD, her IQ scores might not reflect her true intelligence - for instance, and FSIQ may be including subtest scores that are depressed due to the nature of her challenges, while other subtest scores might be in the gifted range, but you'd not necessarily realize that due to averaging of scores - unless you had the full report with subtest scores.

polarbear

I'm not likely to get my son tested at this point as it will have no direct effect on H.S. class placement. I've just become insatiably curious. [/quote]

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM