Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 309 guests, and 8 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    22B Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Zen Scanner
    It is more a question of the value proposition ($10 lunches?) and considering the consumption of parental vacation time. Last summer DS7 enjoyed a hands on equations camp setup for grades 1-6 for a week at $200 and the top group matched his level even if not his passion.

Regarding qualifying, he also has a similar scatter issue. One of the instructors started the local kid's math club, I might see if I can catch a minute with him about how big the applicant pool is as that might imply how flexible they are on whether a maxed math achievement with a near IQ might work.
    Originally Posted by mecreature
    You might be surprised at the quality of the middle schools math clubs/camps you are talking about. My ds school has math camps all summer. They have 2 different classes and they are packed. They go over a ton of discrete math topics at a very quick pace. They have several Math counts test and several team competitions during each week. Even the best kids are challenged. On Friday they set up the gym and have a mock team competition... they call it the guts round competition, kind of based of the MIT type competition. It's worth it just for the kids to hang out with other mathy kids. I am sure it is not up to par with the camps you guys have been looking at but it is very good exposure. Just a thought.
    It sounds like you are in far more "intellectual" areas than we are. The gifted middle school (within a regular school) may be a bit of an oasis here, especially since it is, quite anomalously for around here, the only gifted school that has not been placed in a dangerous part of town, so it has a much higher participation rate of qualifying students. So their math club would be pretty good. But apart from the odd bright spot around where we live, just as some people live in "food deserts", we are living in an "intellectual stimulation desert". There's certainly not going to be anything like what you two describe.

D
    D
    Ha! We too live in an 'intellectual stimulation desert'--whereabouts are all these math groups, mecreature? Maybe we could visit some family nearby depending on where it is.

D
    D
    I did discuss the possibility of Epsilon camp with DD and she said she would not want to do math all day. She loves the local IMACS math camps, but they are only a week long and involve only a couple of hours of "math" each day; then they switch to their version of computer programming or 'electronics' (making circuits, etc.) for a couple of hours and have a long lunch break as well as I think some video time frown So I have definitely not pushed it but it would be nice if she had more interest. On the other hand, I wonder how a camp like Epsilon would handle it if a kid ended up not wanting to be in class all day--probably it doesn't come up much though because given the cost I bet people are good at self-selecting.

M
    M
    Originally Posted by Dbat
    Ha! We too live in an 'intellectual stimulation desert'--whereabouts are all these math groups, mecreature? Maybe we could visit some family nearby depending on where it is.

We are kind of lucky I guess.

Last edited by mecreature; 08/28/14 09:52 AM.
    22B Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by mecreature
    side note:
    What has interested me most is some of the kids who constantly score high in a competition setting are not on a crazy accelerated course. They will have Honors Algebra 1 in 8th grade at a minimum everyone there will.

This sounds right. It is certainly possible to do very well in competitions without acceleration or preparation. (I know.) The good competitions may have a range of problems from not so hard to extremely difficult, but intentionally designed so that advanced knowledge typically can't help, though it may help to know some things not emphasized in school. There are some relevant articles here.
    http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/Resources/articles.php?page=calculustrap
    http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/Resources/articles.php?page=discretemath
    http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/Resources/articles.php?page=pc_competitions

That said, strong maths students should not be held back from acceleration, and acceleration is much easier these days with the internet.

T
    tao Offline
    T
    Hi,

Just wonder who's going Epsilon. We can connect via PM.

Best,

22B Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by tao
    Hi,
    Just wonder who's going Epsilon. We can connect via PM.
    Best,

No. We might apply next year. Any feedback about the application process? How rigid are they with their eligibility criteria?

T
    tao Offline
    T
    We can't say if the eligibility criteria are rigidly follow or otherwise, as our experiences with application process are quiet straightforward.

We may know more once we meet with other families at the camp.

T
    tao Offline
    T
    quite straightforward

22B Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I'm sure several of us would like to hear feedback about Epsilon Camp after it's happened.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by spaghetti - 05/14/24 08:14 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM