Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 193 guests, and 8 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    J
    JamD Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Hi all -
    I already posted about my daughter and the EXPLORE test. Today we got the results from NUMATS in the online Toolbox. But I happened to notice that the results in the toolbox are different from the results on the Statistical Summary. The percentile ranks in the toolbox are lower than the ones reported for her score on the Statistical Summary. Has anyone else noticed this? Or perhaps there is a reason for it?

(I've also emailed NUMATS - if I find out something I'll let you know. But I'm supposed to speak with her school about the results later today, so I'd like to give them the correct percentiles if I can.)

Thanks!

L
    L
    I think what is showing in the Toolbox is for the current group of students (?). I believe the Statistical Summary contains data from recent, but prior years.

DD's percentiles actually went up.

B
    B
    My son took the explore last year. There are two sets of scores. One set reports your child's percentage against 8th graders not in the talent search group. The other set reports your child's score against the NUMATS participants that are in the same grade as your child.

Could you be comparing these two different sets?

Last edited by barbarajean; 03/31/14 10:33 AM.
    G
    G
    I agree with others that you are likely seeing percentiles among NUMATS participants versus the original percentiles against all 8th grade participants. Both percentiles offer good information, IMHO.

I'm curious if the NUMATS toolbox provides a chart of all scores and percentiles or just your child's percentiles? Duke TIP hasn't posted any of the participant percentiles yet so all I have is how my child compared to 8th graders. We have a conference at school tomorrow and if anyone could tell me how he did in the NUMATS pool, I'd greatly appreciate it. But if they are only providing you with your student's percentiles versus a chart that wouldn't be possible. I'd be happy to post scores if someone thought they could help.

L
    L
    I have a copy of the NUMATS statistical summary from 2013. I have not yet seen a statistical summary of 2014 (is our DC's Toolbox data a part of the 2014 summary perhaps?). I cannot find a link to the summary (perhaps someone else does have a link?), but GinaW, I am happy to look up your DC's scores if you want to post or PM me.

The two data points I am looking at are for 3rd grade (appears to be from two different time periods). The 8th grade scores are separate (and are a 3rd data point).

I agree that the correct grade level data is more meaningful to me than the 8th grader data. Receiving the 8th grader data feels like someone gave me a stack of Monopoly money (as in, that cannot be real!?!). wink

J
    JamD Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Oh - that is my problem! You are right Loy58 - I assumed the link to the statistical summary was for 2014, but it clearly says "2013" at the top.

My guess is that the electronic percentile rankings are for this year, but the statistical summary is still from last year. Bummer that her percentiles are mostly higher looking at last year's numbers!

And yes, these are different from the 8th grade percentile rankings - sorry I didn't make that clear.

Thank you!
    Susan

G
    G
    Originally Posted by Loy58
    I have a copy of the NUMATS statistical summary from 2013. I have not yet seen a statistical summary of 2014 (is our DC's Toolbox data a part of the 2014 summary perhaps?). I cannot find a link to the summary (perhaps someone else does have a link?), but GinaW, I am happy to look up your DC's scores if you want to post or PM me.

Thanks! Sending you a pm now.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM