Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 438 guests, and 22 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #102799 05/19/11 04:44 PM
    P
    OP Offline
    P
    Hi - My 6.5 yo son just got his results from the NNAT2 test. He scored OK, well enough to be included in whatever limited gifted curriculum our school uses (very limited, its more that they cluster these kids in one or two classes so they can work together) thankfully, but lower than I'd have expected (118, stanine 7). Its possible he didn't have a good day (he 'failed' a very basic test of skills, one that he'd sailed through at the beginning of the year, when retested b/c he didn't like the tester!) but he didn't indicate that at all after the test (he did like the person who monitored the exam this time, lol). But if that were the case, I'd actually expect to see a really low score (I honestly would have been less surprised).

How accurate do these tests tend to be? I did some research on the test when it was first announced that it would be given, and recall seeing that it isn't a very accurate gauge. Is that true? I am very surprised by my own reaction, to be honest, I know how bright my kid is. But at the same time, there is SO much about his personality that I've always attributed to his 'smartness' that I almost feel like this is taking that away... Anyone else have a test result that surprised them to the low side and feel that way?

Just to give you an idea of who he is, he's the type of kid who taught himself to read before he was 4, is extremely creative (in a verbal way), LOVES science and knows far more about it than I, and can do way more math than he's been taught(which is pretty limited since he's only in K). But he also gets very spacey and spends a lot of time 'in his head' which everyone who knows him well tends to attribute largely to his creativity and intelligence (sometimes you ask him what he's thinking and you get this long drawn out story he's been creating, sometimes you get an explanation of some scientific phenomenon he's pondering, etc.).

I'm thankful this doesn't matter for school for next year, since he "makes the cut" regardless (and likely would have been bumped into that group anyway even if he hadn't, since he reads and works so much above his peers). I'm just curious.

H
    H
    Hello There I am in the same situation, got exactly your sun�s score, but in my case my gifted daughter has not accepted.
    I have received a letter stating �she is a good learner but our school accepts the superior gifted only�. Learner?!!!!
    I was shocked. I am a foreigner single working mother who has not family and friends around. She started reading at 4 and she keeps in my toe with all her critical thinking ability. I live in a country side where a church private pre-school and kindergarten is the only thing that worked with my life. But I tell you what, I get a note from her teachers got each and every day . How she does not stop talking, pouting and all that, while she is very bright. I did what I could including slapping her but nothing worked and now she has started not mind what they are asking her to do all together.
    I cannot send her to a public school since I know she would not last even a day there.
    One day a well-respected zoo owner came to school as a gust and told about an animal which eats everything including a meat and vegetable. She outright told him you yourself is meat and how can you keep this animal without eating you? Imagine you she was only five and she was expelled from the room while she was crying and screaming when I arrived after a call I have received. And so has been every day. Time out after time out. A call after call. The only thing she enjoys playing outside. She asked me about God which beyond what I can write in this e-mail. I honestly thought she was possessed by devil but after a goggled I found out it was a gifted issue. Now the only school around here does not accept her and did not know what I can do with child. I am so sad. Any input is appreciated.

The NNAT is a brief, non-verbal test. I know my son's score on that matched his scores on the Woodcock Johnson, the KTEA and the PRI section of the WISC-IV.

I don't think any of the brief tests can really claim to be super accurate. They are like little snapshots. If you want an accurate picture, you'll need a test like the Woodcock Johnson or the WISC.

~amy

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM