Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 359 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by mykids
    For those moms who passed down their gifted and intellectual intensity gene..what do you do as an adult that fuels your giftedness and intellectual intensity while also balancing the time and energy needs of the curriculum development, teaching, driving etc. that your intellectually intense and gifted child(ren) need?
    Since
    (1) the curricula and pacing in American schools are often unsuitable for both gifted and normal kids, necessitating afterschooling
    (2) elite college admissions is opaque and subjective
    (3) college financial aid formulas are complicated

gifted parents in the U.S. are "blessed" with many intellectual puzzles to solve in educating their children smile.

For example, there is an entire non-fluffy book "The Early Admissions Game: Joining the Elite" devoted to where your children should apply early (early fall rather than December) to college to maximize admissions chances. The cover of the book has chess pieces, suggesting that this game is complicated, just like chess, and the text discusses probabilistic models that can guide the decision. Cool, I like chess and probability problems. It's arguably unfair to make the system so complicated, but the complex system has been created who say they are more devoted to fairness than I am.

C
    C
    Balance? What's that? crazy

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    M
    M
    For years, the "time and energy needs" of learning everything I could about giftedness and making sure my son was in a good place education-wise was the single best outlet for my own giftedness/intensity. This was an incredibly enriching process and period for me, teaching me volumes about myself and my own educational experience, among other things.

However, my son is in a near-perfect school situation, so there's little for me to do in terms of advocacy for him, and I have only one real-life friend with whom I can safely discuss my passion for gifted issues, so I kind of feel like I'm reaching the limits of what I can do with this line of exploration, unless I become active in gifted advocacy at the local or national level, which I occasionally consider.

I've tried to direct some of my energy and drive elsewhere, with reading, writing, traveling and volunteering (both on my own and with DS), but I don't have any intellectual pursuits in my life right now that are nearly as exciting or fulfilling as those first few years of discovering this forum and all-things-gifted. So, in short, I'm not dealing well at the moment, feeling very bored and restless, looking for the next big thing.

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by MsFriz
    I don't have any intellectual pursuits in my life right now that are nearly as exciting or fulfilling as those first few years of discovering this forum and all-things-gifted. So, in short, I'm not dealing well at the moment, feeling very bored and restless, looking for the next big thing.

Gifties can be very good at finding ideas to explore or puzzles to solve. Have you thought about taking one or more courses in a field you're interested in but never pursued? Is there a writer's group near you? Writer's groups can be very good for stimulating the imagination and getting pen to paper.

Val #185985 03/26/14 10:38 AM
    M
    M
    I have listened to some of The Great Courses on CD. Just finished an evening continuing education course this week. Haven't tried a writing group, but I've considered them. I'm thinking I might need a "cause" more than anything. Just taking in information isn't enough to shake the feeling of idleness...

L
    L
    gifted parents in the U.S. are "blessed" with many intellectual puzzles to solve in educating their children smile.
    [/quote]

So True ! This my full time job !

M
    M
    homeschool ... and always trying to come up with new ways of reaching out to our little Autistic "genius" and his emotionally intense brother smile

D
    D
    I build things. Furniture, lego sets, houses and gardens in Minecraft (oh yeah, I went there. . . LOL).

D
    D
    Not enough. See Dabrowski's Theory of Positive Disintegration. I am still in the dis-integration part. frown Hoping to go back to school in the fall.

D
    D
    Near-constant advocacy (by necessity more than by choice) and an intellectually demanding "part-time" job.

And I'm in a book club.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs