Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 332 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    A
    aekmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Trying to explore options for next year for dd who is diagnosed aspergers/gifted. Have pretty much exhausted myself trying to battle it out with school. They don't seem able to meet either of her 2e needs and it has taken a toll. Considering homeschooling and possibly utilizing an online options...there are many choices and I am looking for any recommendations....particularly looking for places that will allow her to work at her level. If you homeschool, how do you do it? She will definitely need structure and we need to work on life skills as well, executive function issue are huge. Thanks for any help you can offer Christa

S
    S
    Hi Christa,

We homeschool but do not use an online school (although we use some online classes). We homeschool my DYS (ds turning 7) and his two older sisters (dd9 and dd11). How old is dd? Is there a particular reason you want an online school instead of the more typical approach (for lack of a better way to describe it)?

I would recommend checking out the well-trained mind forums as a starting place--loads of info and some really great folks.

Apologize for errors-- typing on my phone

PS one of my homeschool daughters is 2E with ADD and it has really been very helpful for her self esteem and learning. We have been homeschooling about three years and are really very happy with it. It seemed really daunting when we were first considering it. In retrospect it was a no brainer and I'm glad we took the plunge.

Best wishes to you and your daughter!

A
    aekmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Sorry - she is 13 and will be a freshman next year...also a diagnosis of aspergers....sorry for leaving that out and for all the typos!

N
    N
    We are doing some e-school this year with DS11, 7th grade (2E, Asperger's), and aim to do a lot more in the future. Our corner of Colorado has an e-school that comes out of Jefferson County (Denver), just for our five counties. They offer a full curriculum for 6th grade up, which can be done full-time, part-time, or supplemental. He's taking Algebra 1 and Video Game Design.

It's working very well for him -- he's running at/near 100% in both classes. His other five classes are at the regular school, and he struggles so much with them -- it's all about the executive functioning, or lack thereof. The kid can't remember a piece of paper to save his life. At the end of last quarter, he had about a dozen assignments still outstanding in those classes, and ended up working on about six of them the night before end-of-quarter. The rest just went down the tubes. That managed to bring him up to A's, B's and one C, I think -- but prior to handing in those assignments it was all C's and D's.

The e-school is so easy, for that -- he gets Algebra assignments on Mondays, and they're due the following Monday. Same for Video Game, but Wednesdays. It's all right there in front of him. There is a live session for each class, each week, but he's in regular class at those times, so he doesn't attend them. He's supposed to view the recorded version later, but after the first couple didn't have anything useful on them, I don't think he does that, either. He just does the work, chats on the boards with the teacher and other students, and the only other requirement is that he has to log into each class for five minutes each day, for attendance. As is to be expected, he does forget that occasionally, generally because I forgot it right along with him.

I would not say that e-school does any good in teaching executive functioning, but it does work around a total lack of it very nicely. We're going to try for five e-classes next year. We do want him to have some time at the school, or we'd just do it full-time. If the scheduling can't be worked out for what we want, we'll do full-time e-school. He can still do cross-country and track and knowledge bowl with the school district.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations