Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 245 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    JustAMom #18625 06/29/08 03:20 PM
    One nice thing about the WISC, is that it 'should' come with the interpretations of a knowledgable professional who can offer some guidance. Is is a real pain that we Moms are left so much on our own with these 'difficult to raise' kids.

I agree that his IQ isn't important, but it might be a launching pad onto you having more of a map in the 'doing what's best' department.

Welcome! Glad to hear he had a great teacher. Can you get them together nowadays?

Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Grinity #18626 06/29/08 03:38 PM
    One way my children's IQ number has helped me is that I was grossly underestimating what they could learn and how fast. That number gave me permission to present them with material I thought was radically above level. They have thrived in a home learning environment and became more excited about learning than ever since I started allowing them access to higher levels of academic products/toys/books, etc. I wouldn't have before their tests. I think that's a good use of "the number".

Neato

incogneato #18628 06/29/08 04:12 PM
    Ditto what 'Neato said.

Though I guess my biggest wake-up-call actually came from the achievement test results (Woodcock-Johnson III for us, administered by the school to ID for GTness). That led to our getting IQ testing for him to confirm what we saw on the WJ3.

Still, knowing that his ability and potential were well beyond what material we had been giving him made a big difference in how DH and I have approached his education, and it's been for the best. He's much happier now that he's actually being challenged.

Kriston
    Kriston #18735 07/01/08 09:58 AM
    E
    E
    Welcome JustaMom!

The decision to medicate was not made lightly in your situation. In fact you son seems to be the first to recognize what might be going on. That to me shows that he has had the desire to preform better than his grades were showing. In my limited experience that is not typical of the Classic underachiever.

If your son finds that the medications help him (as they apparently do) then you are doing what is in the best interest of your child. I agree with the other posts to use the critism as positive teaching opportunities when possible and let it roll off your back when you can't.

Gifted children with ADD/ADHD can present very differently from a ND child with ADD/ADHD. I am impressed that given all the adversity that your son and your family have gone through that he has stepped up and is doing so wonderfully now! All of you deserve to congratulate each other and continue to build on the positive effects you are experiencing smile

elh0706 #18738 07/01/08 10:15 AM
    Justamom -- medicating a child does not change behavior caused by poor parenting! Maybe medicating the parent might change poor parenting, but that's not your issue!

If you are getting the response you want from a 15 year old by giving prescribed medication, then don't change anything!

OHGrandma #18739 07/01/08 10:41 AM
    Yes Justamom....I agree w/ what everyone else has said. You've not one this lightly. It's working well for your son. Educate those that you can, forget those that you can't.

Dazed&Confuzed #18834 07/02/08 06:15 AM
    J
    OP Offline
    J
    medicating a child does not change behavior caused by poor parenting!

Thank you OHGrandma! I'll have to remember that.

In fact you son seems to be the first to recognize what might be going on.

elhO706, I'm taking notes. After reflecting on his earlier years, I can imagine the teachers he had fustrated were struggling with their own paradigm of ADHD being just a "behavioral issue". Oddly, my younger son's kindergarten teacher suggested my youngest was ADHD when he actually had amblyopia.

Gifted children with ADD/ADHD can present very differently from a ND child with ADD/ADHD.

I've been trying to analyze these differences and look at the overall attitude of educators we will be interacting with. I think for the most part, my son is teaching all of us about the possibility. There is no doubt many other 2E children get ignored or fustrated in an unsuccessful school experience.

JustAMom #19941 07/12/08 06:39 PM
    J
    OP Offline
    J
    Wow... we have progress! He's been acepted into a research study on ADHD teens. At least 3 to 5 other doctors are looking at his thinking and helping him come up with ways to organize incoming information.

I feel soooooooo relieved since it was difficult to diagnose. Maybe now his dianosis will have more validity.

JustAMom #19942 07/12/08 07:05 PM
    YEAH!!!! I hope it goes well.

Dazed&Confuzed #19944 07/12/08 07:14 PM
    Wow! Good news! Keep us updated, will you, please?

Kriston
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations