Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 307 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #184262 03/08/14 06:15 AM
    Mom2Two Offline OP
    OP Offline
    My child's school won't talk to me about MAP results. Apparently, they aren't fully using them and don't want to "focus" on them. They do send home the results though.

So, I have a 4th grader. In the fall his RIT was a 232 for math, but for winter testing it says, "no results." HOWEVER, he told me he took the math map test so I'm confused why there are no results.

For reading, he scored a 227 in the fall, in the winter he got a 238. I guess this is a big jump.

Can anyone tell me where he falls according to these RITs of if there is any meaning behind it?

Does anyone else's school NOT want to talk about the scores, as in don't even bring it up with us?

M
    M
    Take a look here: http://www.nwea.org/sites/www.nwea.org/files/resources/NWEA%202011%20Norms%20Report_01.17.2012_2.pdf

Not the newest, but should give you a good idea where your child falls. The charts in in appenfdix B, starting around page 67.

232 for math in the fall is 98th percentile.
    238 for winter reading is the 98th percentile (almost 99th)

My child's school will give us the scores at the end of the year for reading, but not for math. They never talk to us about it, just give us the scores w/ percentiles next to them.

F
    F
    Did he not finish the math portion of MAP? At the end of each section, the score pops up on the screen. Ask him if he remembers seeing this.

As for where he falls..
    Fall math 232 is 98th percentile for 4th grade
    reading 227 is 97th percentile

Our school shares results with us and talks about them in conferences but doesnt really utilize the reults properly IMO.

winter reading 238 is 99th percentile for 4th and 95th for 6th

L
    L
    Originally Posted by frannieandejsmom
    At the end of each section, the score pops up on the screen.

They use to have this for our students, but the scores were recently removed (so I am guessing this setting can be changed). So now the students often have to wait until scores are given to their parents. I did use to hear that MANY students discussed their scores, so I wonder if at our schools, they were attempting to curtail some of this discussion.

I certainly would go ahead and ask for your DC's results, though.

Last edited by Loy58; 03/11/14 02:57 PM.
    I've heard there are numerous things that can cause the test to need to start over - if the kids go through it too fast, for example. So, he may well have done the test, but it didn't accept his answers and wanted him to do it again or something.

~amy
    Mom2Two Offline OP
    OP Offline
    My son said, he never finished the test. Not sure I understand why, but maybe he didn't finish and they told them to line up or something???

I guess because he didn't finish, it didn't register.

M
    M
    Originally Posted by Mom2Two
    My son said, he never finished the test. Not sure I understand why, but maybe he didn't finish and they told them to line up or something???

I guess because he didn't finish, it didn't register.

That has happened to my daughter as well. Since they keep going with harder and harder questions as you go along and keep answering them correctly they can run out of time if the period allocated isn't long enough.

F
    F
    That would be why no score. I would be questioning the school as to why he wasn't allowed to finish. There is no time limits on MAP testing.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations