Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 169 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    E
    E
    Originally Posted by Pemberley
    Does anyone have any other ideas like these? If so I would love to see them!

When I was in school, I taught myself a math method for addition that basically has you use your fingers as an abacus. Here's the book I used - apparently it's still in print, with the same cover, even. I don't have dyscalculia, but it has been super helpful to me as an adjunct to working memory for years, and I bet it would be even better for someone like your DD.

Your left hand is the tens digit, and your right hand is the ones digit. Count by holding your hands over the table, and put down your index finger (one), middle finger (two), ring finger (three), pink finger (four), pick up your fingers and put down your thumb (five), put your index finger back down (six), etc. When all the fingers of your right hand are down (nine), you get to ten by picking them all up and putting down the index finger of your left hand. Basically, you are using your hands as a two-digit abacus, with the thumbs being the "five" beads and the fingers being the "one" beads.

You can get faster by developing automaticity in doing things like adding five or ten, but the basic how-to-count principle may be enough for your DD to be able to use this to get herself where she needs to be.

Actually, have you ever showed her an abacus? If it clicks for her (no pun intended), I bet you'd have more luck getting a teacher to let her have access to that than to a traditional calculator. smile

P
    OP Offline
    P
    Yes ElizabethN! I learned this system when I was 12 and still use it. People think I am a human calculator when I do this. I later added the trick of moving my foot to different positions for hundreds and can add long lists of numbers super quick. I haven't introduced it to DD yet out of fear it might confuse her but I think you're right. I need to do that. Thanks!

ETA: I never saw that book. Just forwarded the link to DD's teacher. Thanks again!

Last edited by Pemberley; 05/31/14 10:34 AM.
    Can you give an example of how you would use this for calculations, like adding? Do you just basically use "counting on"? (For example, for 8+4, you would count up to 8, then continue adding fingers while saying "1,2,3,4" to yourself?)

Originally Posted by ElizabethN
    Your left hand is the tens digit, and your right hand is the ones digit. Count by holding your hands over the table, and put down your index finger (one), middle finger (two), ring finger (three), pink finger (four), pick up your fingers and put down your thumb (five), put your index finger back down (six), etc. When all the fingers of your right hand are down (nine), you get to ten by picking them all up and putting down the index finger of your left hand. Basically, you are using your hands as a two-digit abacus, with the thumbs being the "five" beads and the fingers being the "one" beads.

E
    E
    For 8 plus 4, you would start with 8 (right thumb and three fingers down), then probably add five (thumb up, left index finger down) and subtract 1 (one finger up on right hand). Or you could count on by 4, but 5-1 is faster.

P
    OP Offline
    P
    Just wanted to let you know that DD's teacher ordered the book ElizabethN recommended. Thank you! I have a good feeling about this. I think this approach is going to be a huge help for my DD.

E
    E
    Good luck! I really hope it helps her.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets