Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 391 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    S
    stbmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Okay, my husband and I are really early planners, okay - its just me smile
    We were looking to see if there were any gifted schools in our area that our son may be able to attend.
    There was one school that was for the "gifted" and they started at age 3 - yay! They also said they admitted year round - yay again.
    So, I called and asked if we would just wait until ds turned 3 to apply for the 07/08 school year.
    NO!
    Why, because ds birthday is in Oct and their "cut off" date is Sept 1. I said "but don't you admit year round, why could he not just be admitted when he turns 3. No, they have a Sept. 1 cut off date and he will need to wait out a year.

This makes NO SENSE TO ME! I was not asking for him to start the school at 2, just would he be able to start at 3.
    Obviously this school is not for "gifted" kids, it is for "smart" kids. I can't imagine a true gifted school using the public school system abritrary cut off date for enrollment. I can see rules such as: must be fully potty trained, must be over seperation anxiety, must be able to take instruction from an adult, etc. Not - must be lucky enough to have been born by a particular date.
    Mind you - this school cost over $10,000 a year for the preschool and Kindergarten. Why would I pay that much money when he still is going to run into the same problem - being one of the oldest kids when he works best with children older than he is.

I am getting so frustrated with people not seeing the special needs aspect of being gifted. If he was on the other end of special needs - he would be getting an individualized, state sponsored "FREE" education to meet his every need. We would probably even be getting a check from the state each year to supplement his free education with additional learning materials, tutors, etc.

Honestly - it isn't that we want ds to start school at 3. We actually want to have him in an environment that allows learning through play and exploration as long as possible. We just can't stand that even schools reporting themselves as "for the gifted" are really just doing age based schooling with some enrichment activities. I can get that for free with the public school and provide enrichment at home.

D
    D
    Stbmom,

Your request of this school is perfectly reasonable! I doubt that is really is a gifted school-well I guess that can mean different things to different people. Considering the price and the fact that they call it a �gifted school�, I am suspicious that it really is one that caters to the ego of the parents rather than the needs of the children.

I just posted that my son attended an (expensive) academy when he turned 5. Many highly educated parents sent their kids there and I am certain that the right kind of student at the right age might do very well. It wasn�t the right fit for us though. First, there were no walls. It wasn�t as big a problem as the public school because there wasn�t much group instruction, which was another reason that I didn�t care for it. Additionally, the teacher (and Head Master) that he would have had the following year, did not strike me as someone who actually liked children. Also outdoor recess was usually cancelled because it might rain the following day, so the kids got to sit at their desks and watch animal documentaries on a tiny TV instead! Other parents LOVED this place!

Did you speak to the director or the school secretary? I initially was told by our current school principle that they do not accept early entrance. I called back a couple months later and begged them to meet him. He was early entranced based on their evaluation. I also had S.B. I.Q. test results, but I think those results just helped get their attention and agreement to meet him.

S
    stbmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    I spoke with the admission counselor. They are having an Open House in March. I may go and check it out to consider if it would even be worth fighting for. It may not.
    There are a couple of Montessori schools that cost half the price we may look at as well. One were have liked (by phone and their website so far) impressed us by saying "most kids" do well by coming their between 2 years 11 months and 3 years 5 months. However, they do a first visit with your child at 2 years and 7 months - interviewing and watching them interact in the class. Then, they speak with the parent about when might be the appropriate age to begin attending. I would much rather someone give an age range and talk about individual readiness rather than the magic "birthday calendar" game. I "think" the right Montessori environment supplemented with paritial homeschooling may be a good fit for our son - but we will see.
    I will definitely keep you guys up to date on how the search goes though.

STBmom,
    Caution. Do not get in a huff over the school's rules. This school may be wonderful or terrible, but it doesn't help to judge what they do on what the "admission counselor" says over the phone. That's when you smile and nod and take notes. (Admission Counselor usually isn't a high level position around here.)

I would reccoment the following procedure.
    A) You visit the school and sit in on the classes and observe. If they pass that test, then:
    B) You bring DS in to be evaluated and listen to what they have to say.
    C) Ask them to let you speak to other Moms of kids who are "similar." Ask a lot of questions.

Do Not let politics or your frustaration with "the system" in general get hooked this early in the process. Each school, each teacher, each admisintrator is different.

It is a shame that there are not tons and tons of choices for our kids. It's not fair. But try to stay very clear about which activity you are engaging in - picking a school or burning your school bus pass. LOL! Both are needed, just not at the same time, see?

Remember - it isn't fair to expect any school to have an pre-written policy regarding kids like yours. It is fair to see if they can notice what your child is like, and start working to create something for them.

See?
    Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM