Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 391 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Exploring a possible link between acetaminophen usage and ADHD...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/02/24/acetaminophen-pregnancy-adhd/5782763/
    Acetaminophen use in pregnancy may be linked to ADHD
    Kim Painter
    USA Today
    February 24, 2014

A
    A
    I was interested to read this, too. IIRC, Gideon Koren, who heads Infant Risk, alluded that the analysis didn't control for family history of ADHD.

Definitely an area that warrants further and more conclusive study.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    N
    N
    I think we need a serious grain of salt with this study. It was a phone survey, to start with, where they called twice during the pregnancy and once six months after. As is pointed out in the article, they didn't ask how much acetaminophen was taken, nor did they ask why.

Given that there's nothing else the doctors will let you take, it's not surprising that 56% of the women took acetaminophen.

They've come up with what may be a correlation, but it's certainly not any proof of a causation.

I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by aquinas
    Definitely an area that warrants further and more conclusive study.
    Yes! So many will benefit when the cause(s) may be found, whatever they may be.

Originally Posted by Nautigal
    They've come up with what may be a correlation, but it's certainly not any proof of a causation.
    Correct. This is prominently stated within the article.

Why might studies such as this be released, although non-conclusive, knowing that some may say they are premature?

Those who may be pregnant at this time deserve the best possible information currently available, to weigh in considering the personal choices they will make throughout their pregnancy. An interesting option was posed in the article,
    "We really should start looking at non-pharmacological ways to deal with pain," Chapa says.
    This is also something for people to consider carefully. People benefit when they have internal locus of control and ownership of their decisions.

The downside, if such preliminary studies were not made known, is that there may later be accusations of sitting on information, and allegations of cover-up.

Some may say this was reported very responsibly, neither hyped nor overlooked, but just put out there in a neutral and factual way.

D
    D
    The children of acetaminophen users were 37% more likely to be diagnosed with ADHD, and 29% more likely to get ADHD meds, but only 13% more likely to show ADHD behaviors. It sounds like women who turn to medicine for their own problems are much more likely to seek medical treatments for their kids' problems.

R
    rac Offline
    R
    Just this week, I read that fever of any cause, and flu, during pregnancy, is correlated with brain abnormalities/certain mental disorders for the babies later in life. And of course, fever would be correlated with acetaminophen use!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations