Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 335 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #182755 02/21/14 03:30 PM
    E
    OP Offline
    E
    Hi All -

My DS8 did the WIAT last year, he was barely 8 and in 2nd grade. He scored greater than the 99.9 in numerical operations & 99.9 for mathematical reasoning as well (both DYS level). His other scores, reading, oral language & writing were also very similar (with maths being his strongest).

I had noticed earlier in the school year he could complete his brother's 5th grade homework without difficultly (granted into wasn't challenging for my 5th grader either!).

Anyway, the psych specific recommended that he learn algebra in year 3 (which started earlier this month, we are in Australia at the moment). I find this a bit hard to believe he is ready for it, but I will say his maths abilities seemed to grown exponentially last year (the more I gave, the quicker he figured it out). Last year, we found Singapore Math year 5 not to really be a challenge (although we didn’t complete it) nor Zaccaro Primary Math Challenge. I gave him this stuff at home because he said he wasn’t learning anything new at school and for years he has enjoyed doing maths in his free time. If his brother leaves his homework out DS8 can’t help but do it.

Since he is in school (private), I am not as concerned with him potentially having a few gaps as I am sure he will see the material eventually at school and/or we can fix them when they arise.

At the end of last year, the school discussed introducing him to Algebra. Which to be honest, he has had a brief introduction. He can solve for basic variables. He was having trouble sleeping the other night, and when we discussed it with him, it was 2 step equations that were keeping him up… LOL. He has set learning Algebra as his academic goal for the year at school.

He is in the math enrichment program but he reports some other children who qualified don’t even know what a decimals is, and the first 2 sessions haven been spent doing actives around decimals. Again, nothing new for him and two of the other boys in the class are complaining it is too hard.

I think I many have to take Algebra into my own hands while continuing to advocate for the school to teach him. We have parent teacher conferences the first week of March.

Where do I start? I thought about EPGY or do I go with a pre-Algebra or Algebra program from somewhere like AOPS or Life of Fred??? I thought online might be easier (for me…).

I really do want to support my DS in reaching his goal and any suggestions would be very much appreciated!

(Sorry for the long post!!!)

Z
    Z
    My DS8 is in a similar place, he really enjoyed Hands On Equations ( http://www.borenson.com/ ) at summer camp last year. If you have an iPad, yours may like Dragon Box visual algebra ( http://www.dragonboxapp.com/ ) which wasn't that popular with DS who wants the numbers.

But for lots of reasons, starting a The Art of Problem Solving might be good: http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/

K
    Kai Offline
    K
    I'd take a look at AoPS first because that is very likely where you'll eventually want to end up. If it seems like too much of a jump, Jacobs Algebra seems to work well for younger students. It has some of the discovery elements of AoPS without being as much of a stretch.

N
    N
    I second Dragonbox -- and it is available for android now, as well. It's great for getting the concepts, and my kids (7 and 11) both got addicted to it quickly.

E
    OP Offline
    E
    Thanks for the quick feedback everyone!

DS did both 'DragonBox'es' last year in a couple hours! I did check his iPad just now, I see he didn't get 3 stars at every level so he can go back and do that bit. He loved the game (agree, very addictive) and we couldn't believe how quick he picked it up.

I have not heard of http://www.borenson.com but will be checking it out ASAP... the iPad aspect is both convenient and fun.

If we go AOPS, I assume we start with pre-Algebra? Most likely, we can not do the online course because of timing but maybe independent study with offer us more flexibility anyway. I agree, we will end up at AOPS at some point anyway, why not now.

Thank you again!!!

P
    P
    I quite like the look of Jousting Armadillos. I thought Australia was like NZ and didn't have algebra as a separate subject like in the US. I have heard it recommended to do a simpler pre algebra before AOPS for a young child but obviously it depends on your child.

E
    OP Offline
    E
    Thank you puffin, I will check it out as well. To clarify, he is working directly with the enrichment teacher (pull-out) and the enrichment teacher working with his homeroom to teacher (independent work in the classroom) to 'teach' him algebra. This is not to say they are using the algebra curriculum that is used to instruct older children at the school. We are at the IB school (Prep - Year 12), I don't know if mathematics becomes pre-algebra, algebra, etc. as time goes on... I will need to check that out.

DS loves Borenson!!! He plans to finish up part 1 today :-) Thank you, Zen.

M
    M
    you could also consider Life of Fred range. It seems to be very broad in that it teaches the concepts included in other everyday things, showing how it would be used tangibly in regular life. I like that idea.

We will be starting pre algebra here as well soon and will use hands on and life of fred before jumping to aops

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    I
    I
    I think most elementary teachers here are not capable of teaching algebra.

I actually found that many problems in Singapore math grade 4 and grade 5 challenge word problems are excellent for introducing and practicing algebra, even though the books do not expect the students to use algebra for them.

Last edited by iynait; 02/25/14 08:08 PM.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent