Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 375 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    U
    U
    A tester might even test differently with a parent present (e.g., maybe being more patient and allowing more time than if the parent weren't in the room).

This. And the child might test differently, too. Better or worse. My DD knows I hate it when she punts and says "I don't know," so she might have been less likely to do that with me there. OTOH, on a day when she was irked with me, she might have been MORE likely.

U
    U
    You should probably do the same - just explain to the psych that your DS has a habit of blurting and see if they will intervene somehow by maybe giving the question then immediately saying he should think about it before he answers.

DS will be tested by the school, as DD was. Though it is a different school and may be a different test (interestingly, this is not consistent across schools in our district), if past experience is any guide, we will never meet or speak to the tester.

I think your advice is good, though. He probably should have a little practice with learning to think before he blurts. I think this is associated with being underchallenged. I have been telling him to use his "chess brain," as he is NOT impulsive when playing chess.

Q
    Q
    I have never been present at an IQ test adminstration although I have probably lost count of the number of tests, both by schools and by medical centers/hospitals over the last decade. None of the psychologists with whom I am familiar allows parents to be present. This was true even during the one test where DS was fairly fresh from the rehab hospital and accidentally banged his head halfway through testing. I think the tester might have been ready to make an exception but DS was much better after they found him a room to nap.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM