Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 203 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #182724 02/21/14 09:48 AM
    S
    Sweetie Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    My younger son as far as I know has no other E (his brother has ASD and hypotonia and he went down a different handwriting road) but is HG and grade accelerated by one grade. Currently in 4th grade.

In preschool he had a fist grip and then moved to a grip with all four fingers on one side of the pencil and his thumb on the opposite side. Being a veteran OT mom I did all the things you should do...golf pencils, tiny broken crayons, playdoh play for strength, corrected his grip constantly. Continued this weird grip into K and K teacher didn't care. First grade teacher did care and worked some sort of magic and in nine weeks had an appropriate grip. Letter formation was all over the place by then. Started HWT with him in first grade and worked on it first and second grade even introduced cursive HWT summer after 2nd thinking if he didn't have to pick up his pencil it would help. None of that transferred or generalized to any other setting other than our ten minutes a day.

Skipped third grade and 4th grade is the year the kids have to take a high stakes test in writing and at the beginning of the year his teacher said his mess of handwriting would be marked ungradable. So I requested an OT evaluation wondering if we were missing some sort of physical problem that wasn't as obvious as my older son's.

The OT finally got to evaluating him and in that time between the request for eval and now....he has moved from ungradable to gradable. It still doesn't look pretty but at least I can stop panicking that he won't be graded due to illegibility.

The OT still has to present her findings which I know (we spoke in the hall) won't be for direct handwriting instruction from the OT but will be for AT accommodations. She says that it is too difficult to change handwriting patterns after 3rd grade that they are too ingrained in the brain's motor memory.

I'll know more after our meeting but sometimes just getting the ball rolling and meeting about an issue moves it from horrible..... to making a bit of progress and we can accommodate the rest. If that could be the case for all of our kids.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    D
    D
    DS11 (2E Asperger's) had a fisted pencil grip that the school refused to remediate. We remediated it at home through speed-writing exercises, focusing on fluency with the correct grip.

He still hates to write by hand, but can do so reasonably well.

N
    N
    I wouldn't take that "change after 3rd grade" thing too seriously -- I was in 5th or 6th grade when I decided to start writing in block caps like my mom and brother did, and it was 8th grade when I went to a different school and they taught serious cursive. I learned a whole new cursive there.

Just as a side note, I saw a lovely "life hack" the other day for pencil grips -- hold a folded or wadded tissue with the bottom two fingers (ring and pinky), and the rest of the fingers just fall into place on a pencil. smile

My DS11 is fast approaching the point where he will be forced to adapt his handwriting to the legible side or fail everything. Or become a doctor.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations