Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 136 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #182409 02/18/14 01:22 PM
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    So, we will likely start full time homeschooling soon. That means we will be bidding farewell to Everyday Math. How do we detox from this curriculum? What curriculum should we start with? DS is anxious to start a new curriculum, so we won't be unschooling math. Is EPGY a good choice? I've been looking at AoPS and I really like it. DS is in 5th grade math. He has expressed a desire to start algebra "as soon as possible" so that he can blaze through it and can "learn more science". So where is the best place to start?

S
    OP Offline
    S
    Originally Posted by Portia
    I, personally, like EPGY math. It gives a good foundation to a lot of higher maths. DS7 is currently taking the 5th grade math. Some of the geometry is pretty tough. Other things he is taking includes multiplication of higher numbers (ex: 1465*8), probability with sets, adding and subtracting mixed fractions, lowest common denominator, reducing fractions, converting English sentences to mathematical sentences (ex: Mike has more fruit than twice Jane and Amy together), and denial (ex: a+b=c the denial is a+b=not c).

That being said, once DS is finished with 7 grade math through EPGY, we will try AoPS.

Thanks Portia. Quick question: do you do open enrollment or the instructor guided course? I haven't really looked at the website too much, so I don't really know what the pros/cons are.

Oh boy.

How long has he been with EDM?

My concern with kids who have been with EDM/EVM for any length of time is that they wind up with peculiar gaps in the foundation because of the unbelievably unsound pedagogy in some of the early grades.

I'd say that you'll want him to be aware that if he's struggling with something, he needs to ASK you-- because it's entirely possible that it's something he's been taught incorrectly by EDM that is causing the problem.

Enjoy your newfound freedom, btw! laugh

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Oh boy.

How long has he been with EDM?

My concern with kids who have been with EDM/EVM for any length of time is that they wind up with peculiar gaps in the foundation because of the unbelievably unsound pedagogy in some of the early grades.

I'd say that you'll want him to be aware that if he's struggling with something, he needs to ASK you-- because it's entirely possible that it's something he's been taught incorrectly by EDM that is causing the problem.

Enjoy your newfound freedom, btw! laugh

This is his 3rd year of EDM (K, 1, 5). The good news is that he has been somewhat EDM resistant these past few years. Meaning, the teacher "teaches" him how to do it the EDM way and invariably he's got his own intuitive way of doing it....which is usually the better way to do it. But I will be sure to look out for these gaps, HK. Thanks!

S
    S
    If you are also looking for some math work for fun to detox and bridge the gap between EDM and your next real curriculum. You could look at Edward zaccaro's ...primary challenge math, challenge math, and other books (including some science ones). I bet he would love them.

http://www.prufrock.com/cw_contributorinfo.aspx?ContribID=217&Name=Edward+Zaccaro

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    D
    D
    We've been using Beast Academy on the side. DD is loving it!

S
    OP Offline
    S
    Originally Posted by daytripper75
    We've been using Beast Academy on the side. DD is loving it!

Oh we looooove Beast Academy here. We have all of 3rd grade and the one 4th grade text that has been published. If they had the grade level that we needed, we would get it.

I'm just hoping the entire Beast Academy series will be done in time for my next DC.

I second HowlerKarma's thoughts on gaps after doing EDM. My DD had some really weird ways of thinking through math after doing EDM for 3 years. Sometimes her methods were due to RDM and other times it was because she had developed her own way of doing things which don't always work when you get to algebra and beyond. She didn't even know she didn't understand things until we would sit with her and have her explain the method she had used and why she thought it would work and then we'd have to show her how it was wrong and what the correct way of doing it was. We had some tough days because of it, but it only took about 4 months to undo 3 years of bad math foundations, so I guess it wasn't too bad.

R
    rac Offline
    R
    Apologies to jump into the conversation - but why does one need to detox from everyday math? What is peculiar about it?

I'll offer the short version (and note that it isn't just EDM, it's also EnVision Math, too).

1. Unsound pedagogy doesn't really "teach" mathematical concepts or algorithms using "this is why this works" as an approach to numeracy...

2. Teaches partly through "algorithm discovery" process-- which is just as goofy as it sounds.

3. As if that weren't bad enough, it also teaches "tricks" to problem solving particular types of problems. Not particular methods which are universally applicable (say, that addition is "commutative" for example).

4. "Oversimplifies" (really, teaches them sloppily and incorrectly) many concepts that probably have no business even BEING taught within the context of the grade level in question.

I could go on and on, but won't.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM