Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 303 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    Hello all,

I'm hoping someone out there knows the answer to my question, or can point me at the right place/person to ask!

On the "Qualification Criteria" for DYS page (http://www.davidsongifted.org/young...holars___Qualification_Criteria_384.aspx ), it says, "At least one of the tests submitted must have been administered no more than two years prior to the application date." Does anyone know if this is true for all kids, including those who apply to DYS at age five?

I ask because our son took the KTEA-II when he was 4.5 (and received DYS-qualifying scores), and we'd love to not have to test with (and pay for!) the WIAT on top of that. In addition, it will be more convenient for him to take an IQ test prior to his fifth birthday - but we don't want to do that if the timing wouldn't qualify for DYS.

Anyway, before we schedule further testing, I want to make sure that it's ok for a five-year old applicant to use testing from when he was 4 years 6 months and older.

Thanks!

I'm a little unclear about your question. If you are applying for your child at age 5, he could use scores up to two years prior, so you could submit scores from age 3 up to the time of application. They want more recent scores, not scores older than two years.

Last edited by st pauli girl; 02/18/14 12:30 PM.
    P
    P
    Ditto to what st pauli girl said - it sounds like you're covered! smile

polarbear

C
    OP Offline
    C
    Thanks for your response! And now I see I edited out part of my post that clarified why I was (mildly) concerned, so I'll put it here: I'm wondering if five year olds, because they constitute the floor of the program, are a special group to whom this rule might not apply.

Given what the page says, I would assume it is ok to have my son tested at 4+ years - but I just wanted to doublecheck, in case someone out there knew something I didn't, before I made a $300-$500 mistake.

The nice thing about DYS is you can go ahead and submit what you've got and they'll let you know if they need more/something different.

~amy

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM