Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 289 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #182307 02/16/14 04:25 PM
    B
    bina Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    So my son has a GAI of 136.Working memory is average(61%), processing speed is high average, perceptual reasoning is superior and verbal comprehension is very superior. He hit the ceiling on block design (perceptual reasoning) so I am assuming that he could have gotten more on perceptual reasoning. Correct?

He has a D in language arts. He hates to write and has symptoms of dyslexia. Two years ago a speech pathologist diagnosed him with visual & auditory processing disorder.

He started a gifted pull out program about a month ago and is loving it. But it is only once a week.

I have to decide if I will apply for the gifted magnet program. He is currently in another magnet (not for gifted) so if I apply to the gifted he loses his magnet placement. He is in 4th grade. Both schools only go to 5th grade. I don't know if the gifted will be too much pressure for him or if actually would be a good placement for him. Thoughts?

Last edited by bina; 02/16/14 04:27 PM.
    bina #182308 02/16/14 04:32 PM
    P
    P
    If he is happy where he is why move him for a year? And what are the selection criteria anyway?

bina #182309 02/16/14 04:46 PM
    B
    bina Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    That's the thing... he was unhappy for the first half of the semester. So I requested a change of room/teachers. He has new teachers and now he is more content. However, I don't know if he would be happy with whoever he gets next year.
    Selection? Lottery & space! I was not considering a move until someone pointed out to me that the gifted school may open the door for a gifted middle school ...

bina #182318 02/16/14 09:01 PM
    Okay, so let me understand-- you lose your place at the current magnet just by APPLYING to the gifted magnet? Or that you'd have to give it up if he went there?

No, I don't think that I'd do the former if my child were happy in the current placement and only had another year in the gifted magnet anyway.

Can he be identified as gifted without applying to the second magnet? That might accomplish the same goals at middle school.

Here's the thing about full-time gifted magnets and pull-outs:

the former tends to have higher academic output and performance expectations than the latter. In general, I mean. Often the content of pull-outs isn't necessarily gifted-specific, even-- but it is often fun and engaging.

Given the other possible issues that you list, I think that I'd be reluctant to do a placement into a gifted magnet unless you had some reason to think that the data you have about his level of giftedness is likely to be incorrect, or if he were clearly NEEDING more and acting out in some way. Even so, I'd want more information and a clear plan on handling what seem to be some very significant disability issues.

A pull-out that is enjoyable comes with less pressure on performance, and-- again being VERY honest-- probably less pressure on the areas of weakness in particular, and also quite likely more emphasis on the kinds of things his profile suggests he needs more of-- learning to play chess or other high-level strategy games, doing puzzles, team challenges, maybe robotics or programming, etc. Right? What is it that your DS likes about this pull-out?

A child with a D in language arts is probably not a good candidate for a gifted magnet unless there is a clear reason behind that grade that has to do with a lack of obvious accommodations for a disability.

You have some leads on possible disability-- please follow those things up. That letter grade in language arts probably does not reflect his ability, but his difficulty with written language. Left alone, such problems are likely to be an increasing barrier to success.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    bina #182323 02/17/14 01:52 AM
    P
    P
    bina, my first thought is that I don't have enough information from what you've given to really know what advise to give. The things that I would use to weigh in my decision:

1) What are the fundamental differences in curriculum between the two schools, and in the way classes are taught? Not all gifted magnet schools are the same, and some "non-gifted" school actually work quite well for gifted students - it all depends so much on each individual program.

2) What admissions requirements exist for the gifted school? Does your ds meet all the requirements, or are they a stretch?

3) What have you heard about the other school in terms of curriculum content, how material is taught, how much homework is there (and what type - creative, though-provoking or repetitive and mind-numbing).

I would also want to know a few things about your ds:

1) Do you feel you have a good understanding of his challenges?

2) Have you seen success with remediating and setting up appropriate accommodations? Does your ds use his accommodations?

3) Why did he get a D in language arts. You mentioned he hates to write - do you think this is related to his visual and auditory challenges, or do you think there is another yet unrecognized challenge?

4) What are his social relationships like at his current school? Is he the personality-type that could leave and start all over again easily, or will he miss his friends? If he has a tough time making new friends, are you willing to put him into the position of being at a new school two years in a row?

I'd consider moving him *if* he wanted to make the move, and if you feel confident that you have a clear understanding of his 2e challenges and he's making appropriate progress and using his accommodations. If you really haven't gotten the challenge part of the equation figured out, or if he's balking at using accommodations, I would consider *not* moving - I wouldn't rule it out, but I'd want to be sure my absolute main focus at this age is in understanding whatever challenges he might have and moving forward with remediation and getting appropriate accommodations in place.

You might also want to ask around about how 2e children are treated at the gifted school - are they welcomed there or are they generally declined admission? If they are happily accepted at the school, how many 2e kids are attending the school? I do think it's entirely possible that after you check into things, you might find that the gifted magnet is more open to recognizing and accommodating/remediating 2e challenges than a regular public school that just doesn't "get it" - but this is the type of information that you have to get through your local contacts.

Like Howler, I'd strongly urge you to focus on following up with the potential disability issues. I'm the parent of two 2e kiddos - and parenting them through school has been challenging. Remediation has also been time-consuming and costly. One thing that I've found with both of my 2e kiddos is that they made *quicker* progress when the skill they were working on was treated separately from the academics in class that were essentially unrelated - and for those subjects that my kids are strong in - they learned how to work through their challenges much more quickly when they are given appropriately intellectually challenging material. Trying to remediate with material that was too easy for them didn't work well at all.

Good luck with figuring out what to do -

polarbear

bina #182324 02/17/14 06:02 AM
    B
    bina Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Hi, thanks so much you all have given me stuff to think about. A lot of it resonates with my own thinking... I will do some more research and get back here for more help! smile

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations