Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 193 guests, and 8 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    It's been a little over a year since we realized what we're dealing with here. My DS7 kind of "exploded" into his PGness in the last 2 years or so. I always knew that he was gifted. But I didn't realize HOW gifted until we finally had him tested last year. In the last year we've had many struggles with school and finally decided to partially homeschool. But already I realize, I can't keep up. Specifically, in science and engineering - he has reached my limit.

DH and I were talking today about where we think he will be in a year's time. We think he will be in algebra and quickly make his way through it. So, he'll be 8 and done with algebra? He is chomping at the bit to take "real" chemistry and physics classes. To him this means, I guess, AP level classes.

I have been periodically checking in with the psych who tested DS. She has been a real help to us. But she always mentions that DS needs to create and build - that this is where his greatest "gifts" may be (and one of his greatest sources of pleasure too). DS is constantly talking about things that he wants to build and doodles his thoughts here and there. Some nights he can ramble on for hours in his bed, thinking and drawing the next thing that he wants to build.

I did not realize how quickly he would burn through material. We recognize that DS's attendance at school is purely social. He likes it, as long as it's limited to just a few hours. But his real education clearly has to happen at home. How do I home educate him in things like chemistry, physics and engineering? These are the kinds of things that need labs. How do I get him that practical part of his education that he needs and wants? Also, how do I address the design and build aspect of his giftedness? What kind of teacher/mentor/tutor do I look for?

Last edited by somewhereonearth; 02/15/14 08:28 PM.
    We too had an 8 year old in algebra and not having much issue with it. It is definitely scary to think into the future of educating these kids. (Which is why we usually avoid thinking more than 6 months in advance wink )
    I would look for a tutor at a local university or engineering firm or science museum. You may find a retired professor in the area who would be interested and able to be a mentor for your son. I would also see if there are any FIRST robotics teams in the area - one of the missions of FIRST is for the students to do outreach to the community to help younger kids get excited about engineering. If no one on the local team can help they may have a mentor who would be willing to help you out. (FIRST stands for For Inspiration and Recognition in Science and Technology and was started by Dean Kamen the inventor of the Segway and the portable dialysis machine.) Their website is: www.usfirst.org once there look for local teams.
    We found some astronomy mentors for DD a few years ago by going to a star party that the local astronomy club put on. They loved having an eager learning asking them stuff and being interested.
    Have you looked into the Davidson Academy? Assuming he has the test scores, once your son is working at a 6th grade level he is eligible to apply. There is no lower age limit, although the youngest they have admitted was 9.
    Good luck!

I
    I
    Originally Posted by somewhereonearth
    ... I can't keep up... reached my limit... did not realize how quickly he would burn through material.
    Have you applied to the Davidson Young Scholars program?

Meanwhile, he is at a fun age for exploring many interests and honing in on what most appeals to him and we are fortunate to live in a time when many options exist.

"real" chemistry and physics classes
    While not a complete or perfect solution,
    there are many home chemistry kits which can be purchased online,
    there are many virtual labs online, which may provide reasonable instruction prior to physical labs.
    there are many kits, including engine kits and solar kits...
    even cooking/baking can introduce science concepts.

create and build
    A few ideas, available in many areas, include:
    Lego League
    Odyssey of the Mind
    Destination Imagination
    Rube Goldberg Machine competitions
    National History Day (6th through 12th grade)
    There are many science contests and competitions found online.
    There are a variety of Usborne children's books of things to make and do.
    Many hardware stores have kids classes (build a birdhouse, etc).

... practical part of his education that he needs
    All projects can be related to math and language arts (reading, vocabulary, grammar, writing/expression).

Good luck with your speedy learner!

Q
    Q
    Not sure where you are located, but summer camps are great for science education. It isn't a long term solution, but it will give him a taste and way to try out many different things. I'm probably spoiled in what is available in my area (SF Bay Area), but their are tons of science related camps. There is one that we went to last year that was great and (assuming you are in the US) is a franchise called Engineering for Kids. They also do afterschool programs.

I second the LEGO League. I became a coach since there wasn't a local team. It's a Jr team though since my son is only 6, but it has been really fun to teach the process of creating and wrapping physics, engineering, and natural sciences into it. It's also great for team building and social skills. Check out LEGO Mindstorms for an intro to robotics.

My son is also interested in chemistry, so we plan on buying a home chemistry set. I bought my 3yo daughter a play lab set for preschoolers with beakers and experiments and that got them both hooked even though it was mostly food coloring and baking soda. The chemistry sets run the gamut and just buy him one that is for a much older age to get started.

Search for Exploratorium as they have some books and they are a fantastic museum. I find that books are immensely helpful when they are written for home experiments. There are lab supplies available online.

Good luck and enjoy learning along with him!

Mom to DS9 and DD6
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    "Have you looked into the Davidson Academy? Assuming he has the test scores, once your son is working at a 6th grade level he is eligible to apply. There is no lower age limit, although the youngest they have admitted was 9."

Thanks for the suggestion. We are not close enough and wouldn't move close enough to consider this awesome option.

"Have you applied to the Davidson Young Scholars program?"

Yes, DS was accepted last year. And I don't know why I didn't consider consulting with them for some of my questions! Duh! But it is good to consult with other parents who have BTDT.

"Not sure where you are located, but summer camps are great for science education."

DS did have a great summer program last year that was able to accommodate him. In fact, it was that program that really gave him a taste for how high he could go. He's going again this summer. He is counting down the days until this program starts.

You've all given me some other great things to look at. Thank you! I am fortunate that DH can cover all things math and science related beyond the high school level (but he can only work with DS once a week). The highest level math/hard science courses I have taken were all AP classes in high school. I got one of those uber fluffy liberal arts degrees that counted my psychology class as my "science lab" class. So, I am not much use past AP bio/physics/calculus.

I am definitely going to look into the LEGO and robotics teams.

Keep the ideas coming!

M
    M
    We had a similar issue with my DS, but we went a slightly different route as he is still in a traditional school and only after/summer schooled at home (and both he and I have agreed homeschooling would not be right for him). The middle school was willing to work with him on multi-grade acceleration for math and science so we really only needed to get through 2nd-5th grade at home. We actually slowed down his math so he was only 2-3 years ahead (that way he could go back to learning in a traditional classroom in 6th grade). We then added programming and website/game design into the mix. The programming really stuck to his "math brain" and the website/game design really hit the creativity, building and engineering side. Some of the resources we used for this were---CTY, code.org, code academy, codea, scratch, and a relative who was willing to work with him. Another friend who has a similar profile child but liked more video games also did college for kids classes at the local community college, and minecraft--not just the game but the camps that creates minecraft as well. We also added a "maker lab" into the mix in which we have a lot of random "parts" from toys, packing stuff etc,. old fast food toys taken apart (good wind up gears) and a bunch of hobby helicopter and car pistons, gears, etc. He uses these to create small robots and other "inventions". Now the legos, Mindstorm and Little Bits (if you don't have these, they are a must buy) are being worked into the mix so he can program his creations to mimic what he has created on line. All in all this has really hit all the math, science and creativity sides for him. While on paper his isn't light years ahead in math anymore, he is really excited and energized by what he does both at home and school, and has much more connection to school b/c he can learn in a classroom with peers. He also has been able to incorporate his programming into class projects and presentations and thus is more able to differentiate himself. Hope this helps!

Lego Robotics. First thing that came to mind when I read your post.

I also love Mykids' suggestions. smile

I'd do whatever you can to explore things sideways in STEM-- discrete mathematics, weird notation, linear algebra, coding, earth science, meteorology, astronomy, etc. The reason is that the AP level stuff is so difficult to adapt because of the volume of written work-product expected and embedded into it.

Great Courses has some interesting offerings there-- might well be worth considering.

Last edited by HowlerKarma; 02/16/14 11:03 AM.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    C
    C
    You have lots of great ideas above. My sister and I are both engineers and looking back at our childhoods we spent a LOT of time playing with lego and building/fixing stuff with our dad. Our dad was the type of person that when anything broke he'd try to fix it. Even if you aren't mechanically inclined enough to fix things the taking apart was usually the best part anyway. So next time something stops working, break out the screw drivers and have some fun.

If you know anyone that likes working on cars/bikes/etc see if they would be willing to have a helper next time they do a project. After fixing bikes all of the gears, pulleys, etc in first year dynamics weren't just something to memorize for the exam. Being able to think through the problems and really picture how it would work was invaluable and we never had labs in that class for everyone to experience it first hand. If nothing else being able to change my own brakes has saved me a few thousand over the years smile

K
    K
    You may want to check on whether there are any local rocketry clubs. By us, there are some available through 4H. They can be a good intro to practical applications of some of the engineering/science concepts and when they fail you get some spectacular explosions which can be a plus for some kids.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM