Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 231 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    E
    EmmaR Offline OP
    OP Offline
    E
    Hi,
    I'm beginning the DYS application process for my DS6 and I'm wondering if someone could advise me about who to choose for nominating him. There are 2 people I'm thinking of. One is his tutor who knows him well but is young (20 years old) with her BA. The other person has known him well since he was born but is connected to him socially rather than academically. She's in her 50's and a child psychologist with a PhD so she knows children well. Do you think the Davidson Institute would prefer one over the other? I'm also generally curious about who others chose to write the nominating letter. Thank you!

A
    A
    Does your child go to school? If so, you could ask his teacher for nomination ...

K
    K
    We chose ds's gifted teacher. Good luck!

E
    E
    I can't speak to what Davidson would prefer. We had my daughter's OT write it, and she was able to make some very specific observations about unusual academic abilities. I think that either of the people you describe would be fine, as long as they can describe evidence of higher-than-chronological-age functioning.

S
    S
    Seems like the older person has the credentials and experience to make observations about your child's abilities in relation to other kids his age, as opposed to the 20-year-old.

We asked two GT teachers to write it. They both had worked with him for 3 years in different areas. Unless something has changed I think you can still send multiple letters in.

Q
    Q
    I would ask the psychologist because Davidson may question the 20 year-old's point of reference. If I rememeber correctly and the form hasn't change in the last couple of years, there were a number of questions on the form that presupposes the writer's ability to compare the applicant to his peers in a meaningful way. As long as the psychologist isn't a family member, I would assume Davidson wouldn't automatically suspect too much bias.

E
    E
    Is the tutor a full-time tutor who works with many students, or is this a part-time job while she goes to school or something? When I said either would be fine, I was imagining the former. If she doesn't work with many students, then I would pick the family friend first.

E
    EmmaR Offline OP
    OP Offline
    E
    Thank you so much, everyone, for weighing in! I so appreciate hearing your thoughts and experiences. My son's teacher doesn't understand him so I think going with my psychologist family friend (and the part-time tutor if multiple letters are allowed) sounds like the way to go.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations