Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 231 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Thanks Knute, Epoh, KJP, Melessa and others. Obviously, it's fine... Way better than last year when they were trying to take away his accommodations. And he is "labeled" gifted this year, which means he's recognized somewhat and gets some enrichment. I do think that it is a matter of what Melessa said, i.e., teacher is 'focused on what's lacking, what can be improved' in order to help him for the future kind-of thing.... smile It's okay. It just struck me that her rating scale came back so low considering he is achievement-wise the highest in the class at least for math and reading. I guess to a certain extent it doesn't matter that one can do quantum physics when he still can't tie shoes or write letters/numbers without reversing them... smile

Last edited by Irena; 02/10/14 03:58 PM.
    M
    M
    Irena- there is also the idea of how the student fits inside the box. For example, in 1st grade, this is the skill set. If your ds is very advanced in knowledge, but still "working on" handwriting (or insert what is appropriate); it's as if the advanced knowledge doesn't matter. (That's been my experience.)

I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by queencobra
    It is challenging to have your child in that situation. I do not understand why teachers fail miserably at recognizing giftedness. We are in a similar situation where we did private full psychoeducational testing and found our son to be PG with a GAI of 158 with extended norms. We even shared the results with her and still received blowback about how he isn't that gifted -- because he has friends! She gives a multitude of reasons of why he isn't gifted, mostly because he doesn't know the answers already for things that haven't been taught yet! She has done very little out of level testing, so I can't even be sure what level of reading or math my son is at. It has become problematic because I have no support for acceleration. She's apparently taught some "truly" gifted kids over the years. My son doesn't fit what she perceives as gifted and yet the likelihood she's taught a kid like him before is very, very slim.

I think the most significant issues with having a teacher like that is that they can destroy a kid's self esteem. It is tough when a child's abilities aren't recognized. It is certainly worth discussing with her why there was such a discrepancy between her scores and the test scores. Sometimes, like in our case, her ideas on giftedness may just be unrealistic. I just don't think some people can be convinced or just they don't want to be wrong. It will be very interesting to show your findings and ask her what her reasoning was for her observations when they don't reflect reality. Sometimes it's really oddball things like executive functioning skills that are held with high regard.

For some reason I missed this post! Anyway, thanks. Yes that's my concern - his self-esteem but he doesn't know about the scale, thanks goodness. Still, I am going to find a way to bring it up tactfully as a I can in our next meeting.

K
    K
    Argh! the computer ate my response!

So this probably is what I should have written in repsonse to Irena's OP but I was in a bit of a funk yesterday.

DD tested into the gifted program at our school starting in first grade. DD's teacher couldn't see the gifted part, she only saw a kid who was struggling with reading and writing. At that point, DD's dyslexia and dysgraphia were undiagnosed. The teacher didn't think that DD belonged in her class and conveyed a general sense of hostility. DD, who is highly empathetic, internalized the "I don't belong here" vibe from the teacher. We decided to do private testing because we thought that maybe the school's testing which put her in the program was wrong. It wasn't. DD is HG+ with dyslexia and disgraphia. When we got the results back, the school psychologist flat out told this teacher that not only was DD gifted but that she was so gifted that her needs could never be met in a traditional classroom. So I had a school psychologist saying that DD couldn't move back to a traditional classroom and a gt classroom teacher who couldn't see the gifted. Needless to say, that was an awful year for DD.

Flash forward a few years, despite an uncooperative principal, DD has had some wonderful gt teachers who have not only seen her giftedness but have recognized it as not your run of the mill giftedness. As DD has gained some hard won mastery of the basics, it has been easier for the teacher's to acknowledge the profound, deep and unusual connections she can make with content. As this year's teacher pointed out to DD at our mid-year conference this past week, the "easy" stuff has been harder for DD but now DD will start to see that the "hard" stuff for most other kids will be easier for her.

I guess my point is that with the lower elementary teacher's focus on "the basics," it can be harder for them to see the areas where our kids shine. As they get further along in elementary to middle school, it is easier for the teachers to see the giftedness because they tend to be focusing more on content and higher level thinkings skills.

C
    C
    Knute,

Just curious. Which tests did they use to diagnose your dd as gifted in the school? I have such contradictory test results for dyslexic and maybe dysgraphic ds. Highly gifted on non-verbal tests, but most school districts want gifted on every test, verbal too. His current teacher has a hard time reconciling that he is gifted/highly intelligent and struggling in handwriting and reading.

One of our old school districts even denied in 3rd grade my high acheiving no learning disability daughter. She scores 99th percentile on every IQ test, Cogat, everything. I think it was some obscure test that she got 90th or something. She was in GT in kinder at our old district. Of course she got in, in 4th grade, but I knew it was something wierd. She is textbook HGT, intensity, reader at age 3, all subjects. There has never been a teacher that didn't identify her.

Irena - I thought of this post you made when I read this today. You are not alone on this forum and beyond! Hang in there!

http://www.giftedguru.com/not-fair-to-gifted-kids/

K
    K
    Cathy, sorry I missed your question. She scored 99th percentile on the Naglieri (NNAT) which is a non-verbal test. I can't remember her CoGat scores. I think that she got 95 or above on her quantitative and in the low 90s on her verbal and non-verbal for CoGat. All three of my kids have had high Naglieri but then low on CoGat non-verbal. Go figure. In our district, I think that you have to have two scores over 95 to qualify for the gt center program. Anything over 95 in any one area will get you an ALP. I also know that our district accepts outside testing.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM