Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 231 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #181486 02/05/14 02:20 PM
    K
    KADmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    So ds12 came home upset because he's pretty sure he did poorly on the Co-gat. He said the sections were timed and he said some of the questions took time to answer and he ran out of time. He said there was one section that he was only able to answer 14 out of 25 before the time was up.

He's worried that whoever reads these results will think he's not smart. Jeesh.

Plus here's something I hadn't considered: he's at least a year younger than the other 7th graders. Do they take age into consideration when scoring against norms?

Maybe I should have kept him home.

Last edited by KADmom; 02/05/14 02:27 PM.
    R
    R
    ugh - that poor kid. Give him a an extra hug. Fingers crossed that the school does not take this test too seriously. I just checked ,when DS took it in 3rd grade a few years ago, the one page report that we got back from the school had both age score and grade score percentiles.

L
    L
    Ugh, so sorry about your DS's experience - he must be frustrated!

It depends upon what data the school requests, but the tests can be age-normed or grade-normed. DD is also young for her grade and her age-normed subtest scores were in some cases higher than her grade-normed subtest scores.

I
    I
    Not sure about the Cogat but with the Olsat given in my school children were graded based on age and it was normed within three months (I think that is how it's worded). That is, DS was graded by how other children do at his age bracket within three months. So kids that were six months younger than DS were not at a disadvantage as they normed differently and not 'against' my DS.

K
    KADmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Thank you, both for your support.

This may open up the door to discussion with ds to see if he wants to look into asking for extra time on tests, etc.

I've been carefully examining this issue in my head for months now. Because ds is a perfectionist by nature and also has a tendency to focus on the negative, I've been wary of looking into why he freezes during timed tests, why he's a slow and careful thinker, why he expresses himself better verbally or typing than he does handwriting, why he was late in managing fine motor skills. The last time I gently brought it up, asked him if he'd like to check into things that might help, he became anxious and absolutely declined.

So...a part of me says we're being negligent by overlooking he may have certain challenges and this may end up hurting when it counts the most: in high school. And a part of me says don't draw attention to the struggles, because ds will focus on that, and his self-esteem will suffer. A part of me thinks he'll cultivate his strengths to mitigate his weaknesses, as we all do to some extent and that isn't necessarily a bad thing.
    lus there's the very real fact that he's doing very well grade wise in middle school despite having skipped a grade. (Though he's really not being asked to do very much it seems.)

K
    KADmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Thank you, both for your support.

This may open up the door to discussion with ds to see if he wants to look into asking for extra time on tests, etc.

I've been carefully examining this issue in my head for months now. Because ds is a perfectionist by nature and also has a tendency to focus on the negative, I've been wary of looking into why he freezes during timed tests, why he's a slow and careful thinker, why he expresses himself better verbally or typing than he does handwriting, why he was late in managing fine motor skills. The last time I gently brought it up, asked him if he'd like to check into things that might help, he became anxious and absolutely declined.

So...a part of me says we're being negligent by overlooking he may have certain challenges and this may end up hurting when it counts the most: in high school. And a part of me says don't draw attention to the struggles, because ds will focus on that, and his self-esteem will suffer. A part of me thinks he'll cultivate his strengths to mitigate his weaknesses, as we all do to some extent and that isn't necessarily a bad thing.
    Plus there's the very real fact that he's doing very well grade wise in middle school despite having skipped a grade. (Though he's really not being asked to do very much it seems.)

So after months of thinking about it, I still don't know what to do. Ha!

Last edited by KADmom; 02/05/14 03:59 PM.
    Q
    Q
    Poor kid! Tell him his teachers are unlikely to study or understand the results - it's probably true.

I find it strange that the school would even bother with CoGat by 7th grade, especially for students who are already in the GT program. It just seems that the trend as the student gets older (middle school and certainly high school) is to base enrollment in specific classes on prior achievement rather than theoretical ability.

B
    B
    DD had just turned 7 and they gave her the third grade version of the test. The age norms were a little higher than the grade norms, but not by much (esp. with the verbal section I think).

DD also did horrible on the CogAT but her GAI on the WISC was over the 99.9th percentile. A private psych is advising that we pursue a 504 for slow processing and ADHD so that when she has to take the SAT she can get modifications/extended time. You don't want to wait til right before the test, you want documentation of a disability when a kid is still young. Tell him to not worry about it. If he didn't finish it, obviously the results won't be accurate. You may want to attempt to get it invalidated and removed from records, though, if the scores end up being bad. I have yet to figure out how to do this.

T
    T
    I think the cogAT is a bad instrument. I have known so many GT kids that get 99% on SB or WISC that do poorly on the cogAT. Not sure why people use it. It is an "abilities" test, not an IQ or Achievement test. I think it is a load of rubbish.

K
    KADmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Thanks, Quantum, blackcat and teachermom.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM