Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 395 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    We did get her eyes checked because I knew she could read but didn't want to last year!
    But it was with a regular optometrist. It could be a muscle issue or perhaps a tracking issue. It seems this stuff is disproportionately evident in the GT population.
    I will see if if improves and if not by 7 or 8 I will probably take her to a behavioral optometrist? is that the right term?
    Interestingly, this falls into our other conversation about compensation ability, eh?
    Large print rules! Yeah for senior citizens!

Hey neato! I know I have posted this before but my DS has a visual tracking issue. If you do decide to get it checked out here is a great web site to start with www.covd.org. smile

Thanks! I didn't bookmark it before...here I go!

You're welcome! The therapy has REALLY helped my DS!!!! smile

I remember getting my first pair of glasses as a kid and being thrilled with the way things looked. I had been so used to things being fuzzy, I didn't even know they could look clear. It was truly amazing!!! Cathy, I am glad your DS is enjoying his glasses!!! smile

My dd8 who reads about 200 pages a day got her first pair of glasses this afternoon. She was so excited that the words on the page were in focus. I don't know if it is possible for her to read even more, but we will see.

That's so great! I got reading glasses in my 20's. I probably needed them earlier, but high compensator and all!
    I hope your daughter enjoys reading even more now!

F
    F
    Our DS6 reads with good comprehension at at least 3rd-4th grade level, but, like others, often prefers books with pictures to help draw him through the narrative. He's been burning through my old childhood collection of Peanuts books - which are not challenging linguistically but actually have some fairly mature relational content.

We are going to order some of the French Tin Tin books (in English) to see how he handles them. I see the Geronimo Stilton books at Amazon, but can't get a look at the contents. What general reading level are the Stilton stories at?

Our honored guest (DS) also runs up and down the maturity scale at dizzying speed, by the way. Such an interesting fellow.

K
    K
    Geronimo Stilton books run at about 3rd to 4th grade level! And they were really huge transitional books for my DS7 in moving from more picture based books to longer, higher level chapter books. He still enjoys the stories and format on occasion.

My DS also read a bunch of Calvin and Hobbes comics and really enjoyed those too. Actually, my DH is supplying him with too many "teen/adult" comics right now!

Geronimo Stilton is listed as grade 2.4 on scholastic's book wizard. See link. My DS4 enjoys them. (He still wants us to read to him at this point - he'll only read instructions on video games, as far as I can tell!)

http://bookwizard.scholastic.com/tb...ke7_SI&workId=3313&gradeOffset=0

As for Tin Tin, I remember some of those being sort of racist at times. And there's always that drunken swearing dude, but at least he swears like this @!*&!. Just make sure you peruse them first. smile I do love Tin Tin (i have all of them.)

Last edited by st pauli girl; 07/07/08 11:06 AM.
    kimck - we cross-posted. I only looked up one geronimo book, so i'm guessing there's a range in ability.

i still love calvin and hobbes! We haven't gone the comic book route with DS yet. He likes the comics in the sunday paper though.

Last edited by st pauli girl; 07/07/08 11:07 AM.
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM