Ok, help please! I found this site & have been reading lots online but still feel very uneducated about DS5. I'm having trouble getting past the feeling that they switched test results because I just don't see the same kid that showed on the school reports. And I don't know what to do with him.

Yes, he's a great reader & picks up new ideas quickly but then he'll do stuff like throw a fit and is frozen when I ask him to write 3 sentences the other day. I tried to tell him, just pick up the pencil and write a word. He just wouldn't/couldn't & got very upset. Despite writing pages w/his teacher all year. Today he whipped out 2 sentences no problem and spelled quesadilla. I don't get the flip flops and acting like he can't do stuff I know he can.

He's happiest playing video games or anything electronic, likes typical kid shows, can read way above grade level but happy w/simpler books, etc. He picked out some Star Wars (which he loves) books on a higher reading level but then doesn't want them & likes Dr. Suess.

He's not "into" anything exceptional for his age as far as I know. His scores would qualify to apply for DYS but I don't know that I'd answer anything about his activities or abilities that confirms those type of results.

I could handle knowing he's a bright kid but being told he has all this potential, I don't know what to do. How do you balance being a typical kid stuff w/making sure they're challenged? I fear we've been starving him educationally and now he's just content without pushing himself for more. DH & I are pretty much underachievers so part of my fear is for him not to fall into that. But he is still really young too. Does this make any sense?? I think I have a lot of issues.