Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 275 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    H
    hnz1979 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    H
    So our DS just received his report card for 2nd quarter with his new teacher. (Sigh)
    So with his new teacher his behaviors are worse. Today he refused to allow any other children to pick up blocks because that was his job so he willfully removed blocks from the other kids hands. Then he got out some other toys to make free choice time last longer. So he got many "needs improvement" marks for social behavior with peers but has a girlfriend now apparently who recruited him for this, lol.

They have given him his own desk and he prefers this to sitting at a table with peers. The teacher says when he is at his own desk he does what he needs to do and completed his work and is on task. So, do some kids have ADHD but have the ability to focus well when by themselves? Because DS is more affected by environmental distractions over spacing out or just drifting. We think auditory processing could be an issue, but they can not test until he is seven.

Academically he met every goal. He continues to say that they do the same things everyday. Handwriting is poor still, but legible and he is attempting to write sentences even though he can't spell helicopter and golden retriever. He needs to be taught the "vowel in every word rule" he is ready for things like this but his handwriting is horrendous! Teacher planned to move him back to the behavior chart because she felt he was doing well, but then he hasn't had a great week. I REFUSE to up the dose of the medicine since he is learning well and has already had a loss in appetite. They have done nothing for sensory issues and I'm SO tired of all this. I think DS will always rule with an iron fist, and be over reactive to issues. I hope I don't lose mind!!

P
    P
    Originally Posted by hnz1979
    We think auditory processing could be an issue, but they can not test until he is seven.

I know that many evaluators and schools will tell you this, but fwiw our dd was tested at 5 for auditory processing (she does not have CAPD), and a good friend's dd was tested at 6 (she does have CAPD). My friend's dd was really struggling in school, yet doing advanced math workbooks for fun at home. Her mom suspected CAPD based on her own observations, the school said no way can she be evaluated until she's 7, but her mom didn't want to wait so she tested privately.

I hope I don't lose mind!!

I'm sorry because I'm in a hurry and mostly writing a fly-by reply, but just wanted to reassure you - I've lost my mind, and it's ok laugh Parenting our challenging kids isn't easy! Hang in there!

polarbear

So, do some kids have ADHD but have the ability to focus well when by themselves? Because DS is more affected by environmental distractions over spacing out or just drifting.

Um-- I have no real experience directly with ADHD children, but I can tell you that HG people with over-excitability, or just people with sensory sensitivities.... most certainly DO have a great deal of trouble with environment this way.

Make the environment better, and the "ADHD" magically vanishes.

Oh, and I second what Polarbear says about one's mind. I hardly miss mine at all now. grin

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    B
    B
    DD with ADHD has a really hard time with noises/distractions in the classroom. Her K teacher set up a special table of her own for her to go when she was having trouble focusing (it was usually DD's choice when to go there). Now in class (3rd grade), she wears headphones if the room is noisy.

P
    P
    I put on earmuffs at work sometimes. I can feel some if the tensions just seep away.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations