Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 278 guests, and 28 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    N
    N
    What's a Panther?

I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by Nautigal
    What's a Panther?

Here is some more info on Panther Math Paper:
    http://www.fctd.info/resources/5416

Here is a video of a child working with it: http://vimeo.com/58327955

I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Thank you so much for your post, Polarbear. It really is heartening to hear your son was/is so similar and got through it all okay and doing well smile I am going to really think on what's in your post and see what I use and come up with to help DS. I may be back with questions on it smile

As for Panther, I don't *think* it is available for lap top but look at the link I posted above and look around - it may be or they may planning to make it available. It would make sense for it to be.

By the way, I recorded the meeting. I finally got up enough guts to say "I hope you don't mind, but I am going to record this ..." I am so happy I did. I used Irecorder on my Iphone. It was very clear and picked up all of the conversation and it was just so helpful to go back later and listen to it, come up with follow up questions and just hear how *I* did in the meeting. Also, I do think it made a difference in how people spoke. I don't think I heard even one offensive statement. I usually hear at least a few of them in any meeting. Not sure if it were due to recording it or not. I HIGHLY recommend recording the meeting - it's so nice to really focus on the disucssion and know you can take notes later!

Last edited by Irena; 02/01/14 08:22 AM.
    C
    C
    Another mom told me to record meetings too. I think I might do that as well if I put my son back in public school. We had such a horrible experience in public elementary school here in Colorado in 4th grade. They were very offensive to me and denied my son was dyslexic because they didn't believe in that. Also, if he wasn't two grade levels below, they wouldn't do anything, 504 or anything. So, my 2E son is stuck in the middle, performing well on Math/Science, and struggling in traditional language arts, but still average.

I have thought about strategizing how to approach the new school, now middle school. I was thinking I should be a B**** and demanding right from the beginning. The nice, understanding approach got me no where last time and just got insults from the adults. I eventually chose to withdraw my son because they were taking it out on him.

What do you think about the approach you should take at a 504, IEP eligibility meeting with a new school in a district that has less than stellar reputation for dealing with kids that don't fit in a box perfectly?

K
    K
    Piggybacking on other advice...

Checklists for routines are great - either taped to the desk (covered in packing tape) or laminated on a ring clip). However, most tasks vary day to day. I often put a list of numbered steps on the board as I give the instructions. When I see a kid off-task, I can get their attention (even if they're across the room) and hold up fingers to match the numbered task they need to do. It's simple, less disruptive, more private, and works for almost all kids... as many need help from time to time at this age.

Of course this is what works in my classroom. Your child's teacher might find a different system works better for him/her. Just thought I'd share something that has been effective for me. Good luck!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM