Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 225 guests, and 33 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I wasn't sure where to put this, since it isn't necessarily GT specific. But for any extroverts out there (You know who you are! <smirk>) trying to deal with introverted kids, I thought I'd pass this article along.

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200303/rauch

It does a pretty good job of explaining us, I think. And it's funny. I loved the Sartre quote: "Hell is other people at breakfast." LOL!

Kriston
    OH OH OH yes! That is sooooo me "Hell is other people at breakfast!"

W
    W
    Interesting read, but it seems that he has defined the classic sales person as extrovert and the analyst as introvert. And of course he pounds the table that introverts are smarter but extroverts make all the money.

I truly admire the "salesperson" (including many politicians) who can go out there and play the game but I am not sure that is the only extrovert personality. I think there are extrovert personalities that do require downtime and also have disdain for the masses. Just because one is an extrovert, doesn't mean you love people. And there are introverts that are the shy, reclusive types, with not great social skills.

Black, white and shades of grey.

Ren

Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Dazey: OTOH, perhaps a misanthropic cannibal would say that "Heaven is other people FOR breakfast." <smirk>

Originally Posted by Wren
    Interesting read, but it seems that he has defined the classic sales person as extrovert and the analyst as introvert. And of course he pounds the table that introverts are smarter but extroverts make all the money.

I truly admire the "salesperson" (including many politicians) who can go out there and play the game but I am not sure that is the only extrovert personality. I think there are extrovert personalities that do require downtime and also have disdain for the masses. Just because one is an extrovert, doesn't mean you love people. And there are introverts that are the shy, reclusive types, with not great social skills.

Black, white and shades of grey.

Ren

Well, by definition, being an extrovert means that you are *recharged* by people. I don't think he really means that *all* extroverts love *all* people *all* the time, any more than he's saying that all introverts hate people and never, ever want to be with people. Certainly the article oversimplifies a bit by breaking it down into strict introvert and extrovert categories. Most people are a little of both, so this binary isn't really accurate. But as one orientation or the other tends to dominate in a given person and as this is a SHORT article, not a dissertation on the topic, that seems to me to be a fair simplification to make.

As for the analyst/salesperson stereotypes, I think he's arguing against them, saying that introverts AREN'T the stereotype. He makes the point that introverts can be great in a presentation before a big group or one-on-one, and I don't think that's stereotypical analyst behavior--the stereotype is that analyst types are unable to function socially at all. He talks about how negative the adjectives used to describe introverts are when compared to the ones used for extroverts. I think he's saying that this characterization of introverts is inaccurate and unfair.

He doesn't say that introverts can *never* be shy, just that one should not *assume* that shyness is why introverts are quiet or prefer their alone time. Introvert and shy are not the same thing is the point there.

I think you're also taking seriously some things that were intended to be tongue-in-cheek. Like the money thing. The author isn't arguing that extroverts make all the money; he's (humorously) criticizing a book that claims they do. Big difference! And usually when he is overstating a bit, he's exaggerating for comic effect.

Frankly, I think you've rather missed the point of the article. <shrug> Luckily, that doesn't really matter. It's a "just for fun" thing, supposed to make people smile. smile

Kriston
    Oh my goodness Kriston I laughed sooooo hard while reading this article!!!!!!!!!!!

"introverts are people who find other people tiring" Oh YES!!!!!!

"[introverts] tend to think before talking, whereas extroverts tend to think by talking, which is why their meetings never last less than six hours." I've been to a few of those meetings - arrrrrghhhhh!!!!!

"...when perhaps an Introverts' Rights movement has blossomed and borne fruit, it will not be impolite to say "I'm an introvert. You are a wonderful person and I like you. But now please shush.""

Love it!!!!!

So glad to know that I am just misunderstood!! ROFL!!!!!!!!!! grin

W
    W
    I smiled but moreseo because he makes an argument like DH.

Just where I am today, but what is a day without Kriston's judgment.

Ren

Thanks Kriston, I also enjoyed that article. Interesting discussion too. I think there is a somewhat false perception that introverts couldn't possibly be socially gifted also. I so related to the author, he was speaking my language!
    I was very good in sales, but it wore me down quite a bit. I would guess most people have me pegged as extrovert, simply not so! smile

I have also been thought of as arrogant and aloof, but it's usually a certain personality type that I tend to rub the wrong way.

And I've always gotten the comments: "what's wrong? are you okay?" when I'm quieter. Because I can talk ad nauseum and people sometimes expect me to always be the entertainer/life of the party, they can easily misinterpret my need to wind down quietly. cry

It used to bother me a lot. Now only just a little bit. wink

Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Me, too, 'Neato. All of the above. If I had a dime for every time someone said "You should be in sales," I wouldn't need to be in sales. wink But the thought makes me break out in hives! eek cry No thanks! Too many people!

And Wren, I only responded to *your* judgements--politely and logically, I might add. If you don't want me to respond, then don't start the argument. <shrug> I mean, you have to know I'm not going to let you treat a humor article that I have recommended as serious and flawed without my responding, right?! Certainly you're entitled to your opinion, but I'm also entitled to defend the piece.

It's the way of the world, my friend, way of the world...

Kriston
    Yes, just a good bit of fun. I need all the chuckles I can get.
    crazy

When you say, "this is just the kind of day I'm having". I was curious, what do you mean?
    You are having a bad day? A jaded day? A grouchy day?
    confused

Great article! I enjoyed it very much. I'll have to send it to DH!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM