Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 246 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    epoh Offline OP
    OP Offline
    So, I don't worry too much, usually, about what level of books DS10 is reading, but I do like for his AR scores to end up somewhere in the realm of reality at the end of the year. Left to his own devices he'll just read Diary of a Wimpy Kid or the Middle School books over and over... both are about level 4. Last year we threw the Hobbit in, but I'm not sure what to add in this year. He's reading the new Miss Peregrin's novel, but I highly doubt that book is in the AR system.

I think I'm going to suggest Ready Player One to him, as the central theme is right up his alley, but I'd love some other suggestions!

~amy
    P
    P
    Is he accelerated? If not I just started adult books at that age. There are far more books aimed at that age group than there were then though.

B
    B
    Harry Potter, if he has not yet read it. For lovers of fantasy I recommend The Chrestomanci Series by Diana Wynne Jones. (http://www.goodreads.com/series/43763-chrestomanci) Unfortunately this series is not in the AR system. My son liked the Magyk series by Septimus Heap at about that age. A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket, but only if you son likes that kind of humor. The unfortunate Events have a fairly high lexile level compared to their length.

One suggestion is to have him look through a selection of Newbery Medal books and runners up. Most of these books would be at your son's reading level and are excellent literature on top of it.
    Whittington by Alan Armstrong
    The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
    Holes by Louis Sachar
    The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo

I know Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children is in the AR system. DD9 read it last year - I believe it was a 5.?. Is there another book besides this one? Please say there is - we really liked it (I read it too)!

I've been trying to talk DD9 into starting the Warriors/Seekers books by Erin Hunter. There are several books in each series and they seem to be fairly popular around our local 5th/6th grade kids. I believe those are anywhere from high 4's to 6's depending on the book.

If he hasn't tried out Harry Potter yet, you can see if he bites on those.

DD9 loved the Lemony Snicket's books last year and those I believe are all mid-6 up to maybe 7.

I'm sure I will think of more and I'll ask DD9 what she has really enjoyed.

I see I was typing at the same time as some others and we came up with some of the same books.

I looked up the Chrestomanci books to see if that might be something our girls would like to try and it looks like they are in the AR system.

Just an FYI - We use www.arbookfind.com to check out levels all the time. We have marked all of our books at home so we know what level and how many points each book is worth. It is just easier for the girls to grab something off the shelves and check it before they decide to read it because they have to get so many AR points per quarter for school.

G
    G
    DS9 really loved the Redwall books. I read the first one and found it really well written. He did, eventually, tire of them and didn't complete the series. But the first 10 or so bought me a peaceful summer without "mooo-ooom what can I read?!?!"

B
    B
    Originally Posted by 1frugalmom
    I see I was typing at the same time as some others and we came up with some of the same books.

I looked up the Chrestomanci books to see if that might be something our girls would like to try and it looks like they are in the AR system.
    I would recommend these books for all kids regardless of gender. Diana Wynne Jones was a wonderful writer of both young adult and adult fantasy.

N
    N
    I'll have to look up this Miss Peregrine thing for DD!

I would recommend the Mysterious Benedict Society (5.6 to 6.3) books, if he hasn't already read them.

Also Simon Bloom, Gravity Keeper (it's a 4.9 but Simon is a 6th grader and I wouldn't count it out for older, as it's fascinating science-magic) and Simon Bloom, The Octopus Effect (5.3).

The Artemis Fowl books are terrific -- they're 4.something to 6.something.

John Grisham's Theodore Boone, Kid Lawyer books are good, 5.somethings. I think Artemis Fowl is considerably more complex than those, so I'm not sure how they rate things.

U
    U
    The Golden Compass series
    Redwall
    Inkheart/Inkspell/Inkdeath

epoh Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Awesome list so far! Thank you guys! (He's read Harry Potter, the Golden Compass, Holes, and a few of the Artemis Fowl books already, but y'all listed a ton he hasn't tried!)

The second book in the Miss Peregrine series is out and it's called 'Hollow City'! I haven't read it yet - waiting for DS to finish it first.

ETA: No, he's not accelerated, he's in grade 4...

Last edited by epoh; 01/30/14 07:58 AM.

~amy
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM