Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 433 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    K
    K
    DS24 used to ask endless why questions. Every car trip I would be peppered with questions. He was also really great at coming to the defense of others' bad driving if I happened to say anything. "They may be looking at a map, Mom," or "You should always be ready in case someone pulls out in front of you, Mom."

DS12 did not ask many questions at all, which really surprised me and misled me to think when he was in preschool and younger that he would be very happy but only slightly above average in intelligence. He seemed to be very interested in how things moved and worked in his early years. Then in preschool interpersonal dynamics began to interest him and at that point I guess the OE began to show.

He's now beginning to ask us the why questions and he's 12.

I always felt with him that when he was younger he just doesn't see us, his very bright parents, as adequate authorities on anything. haha!!

Last edited by KADmom; 01/27/14 06:39 AM.
    Curiouser #180643 01/27/14 06:40 AM
    K
    K
    DS12 also ate hunks out of his books. There goes that theory. wink

N
    N
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    With our DD it was "If you give {DD} an explanation..."

Yes! We do, indeed, have this problem. We inexplicably find ourselves making muffins or painting things for no apparent reason. It's the Rube Goldberg theory of children, I believe.

Adults are seldom comfortable saying "I don't know" to children.

Really? That's practically the only answer I ever manage to come up with! Followed by "why don't you look it up"?

M
    M
    Aside from the endless questions, Do any of your kids have the constant need to comment on everything? DS5.5 is always commenting on everything he does, analyzes everything he sees on tv or what'a happening in his games, he just cannot stay quiet for 5 seconds. He even admits to it saying "no mommy. I can't stay quiet. I have so much to say!" It doesn't matter if it's a cartoon, his homework, him playing with favorite toys, he keeps on talking and talking and talking!

Mk13 #180681 01/27/14 12:34 PM
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by Mk13
    Aside from the endless questions, Do any of your kids have the constant need to comment on everything? DS5.5 is always commenting on everything he does, analyzes everything he sees on tv or what'a happening in his games, he just cannot stay quiet for 5 seconds. He even admits to it saying "no mommy. I can't stay quiet. I have so much to say!" It doesn't matter if it's a cartoon, his homework, him playing with favorite toys, he keeps on talking and talking and talking!

Yes. We're a family of talkers, save for DH.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    No. The two who ask why also talk all the time. The two who don't ask why, also don't talk and are the mist like myself personality wise. We go shopping together and its enjoyable because we all can drift and daydream and not have to talk. Extrovert is exhausting for me, and my two boys who seem to have extroverted intuition want to talk about their observations. My two who don't ask questions just want to day dream. They are also oblivious to their environment. I can shop for Christmas with my daughter with me. I just point to something and ask her a question, and stick stuff in the cart. This is a description of introverted intuition. Introverted intuition can look aloof and daydreamy. Lol.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM